none
sql drives and database backups RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i am using dpm to backup lots of sql databases.  this works well but i want to know if there is any point in backing up the data drive that the database sits on if i have seperate sql jobs running. 

i suppose of i wanted to back up any flat file backups/files this would be ok so i assume i could just setup a different job that backs up specific folders on the sql servers?

thanks

phill

phill

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:45 PM

Answers

• Hi

If you want to backup the data drive you can exclude the directories for SQL and create a new backup at another time. Are you wanting to backup just the system state or the entire drive in general?

Is their critical data on the drive you would like to backup? I am also backing SQL on my servers but dont touch any of the other folders besides doing a system state backup. My thoughts.

Kind Regards

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi

If you want to backup the data drive you can exclude the directories for SQL and create a new backup at another time. Are you wanting to backup just the system state or the entire drive in general?

Is their critical data on the drive you would like to backup? I am also backing SQL on my servers but dont touch any of the other folders besides doing a system state backup. My thoughts.

Kind Regards

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 5:36 AM
  • i have nothing that needs to be backed up apart from the database so i sould be ok to disregard the log drive and the sqldata drive

no critical data, just the databases that are backed up.

Thanks

phill

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:29 PM