OCS 2007 to OCS 2007 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hoping this is a quick and simple question.  I'm getting ready to upgrade our deployment of OCS from OCS 2007 on a Win 2003 server to OCS 2007 R2 on a Win 2008 server.  I'm wondering if I can build the new server, join it to the same enterprise pool, replicate the info over, then shut down the old server.

I know I did all the AD prep when I first deployed the server 2 years ago.  I'm alittle leery of running the AD prep tool and risking breaking my existing deployment of OCS before I have the new version online.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:44 PM

Answers

• Tim,

The standard approach here is to deploy a new pool and simply move the users over to the new pool.  Afterwards the previous pool can be deactivated and removed.  Applying the R2-specific Forest/Schema/domain changes will not impact your current OCS deployment.  I'd also read up on the suggested planning for where to store the R2 global settings in AD: http://blogs.technet.com/ucedsg/archive/2009/02/27/where-should-i-store-my-ocs-r2-global-settings.aspx

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tim_Fox Friday, January 8, 2010 6:18 PM
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:12 AM

All replies

• Planning is key. You still have to do the AD preperation for the forest and domain, plus a host of other things to consider for coexistence. The articles and links here and here should help you get started.

Do let us know if this helps. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:41 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I've been wading through the Microsoft migration doc, and it seems to jump around a bit.  Hopefully the links you provided will be a great supplemental resource.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Tim,

The standard approach here is to deploy a new pool and simply move the users over to the new pool.  Afterwards the previous pool can be deactivated and removed.  Applying the R2-specific Forest/Schema/domain changes will not impact your current OCS deployment.  I'd also read up on the suggested planning for where to store the R2 global settings in AD: http://blogs.technet.com/ucedsg/archive/2009/02/27/where-should-i-store-my-ocs-r2-global-settings.aspx

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Proposed as answer by Gavin-Zhang Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tim_Fox Friday, January 8, 2010 6:18 PM
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:12 AM
  • I want to thank everyone that took the time to read & reply.  One more quick question.  After reading all of the migration documentation I can find.  None seem to address when/where to install & configure the new server.  They just say move the users over to the new server.

If anyone knows of any documentation that addresses the point in time when both servers are up and running, that would be great.

Also, I just discovered that we don't have the RTCService & RTCComponientService passwords.  Am I going to need those?  If I need them and have to reset them in AD, will that break my current OCS installation?

The more and more I read about migration, the more I want to plan this for a weekend when nobody's here.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:41 PM

• You can set up a new consolidated Enterprise Pool running the new R2 Front-End server alongside the existing OCS 2007 RTM Enterprise Pool in the same domain. If you recall, you cannot mix different OCS editions in the same Enterprise pool. Technically, a Standard Edition is a pool by itself.

Hope this will help. Thanks.

TechNet Forum Moderator - http://www.leedesmond.com
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:34 PM
  • Thanks for the help.  I'm starting to feel comfortable about the prospect of migration.

Luckly this isn't a mission critical application, and we only use it for IM.  Not for any of the other functions of UM.  Hopefully this will be fairly smooth.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 4:59 PM