none
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit RRS feed

• Question

• Any way you can make a local deployment share using MDT? i have seen it happen but not sure if it was scripted in or not. The purpose is to deploy from the harddrive without using network which would take 2+ hours. So for instance buying harddrives and cloning them i could stick them in the same build and deploy it easily... Havent looked if its there in mdt2013 yet. Or if anyone could suggest a few sollutions other then MDT. THanx
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 8:36 AM

Answers

• If your company wants machines clean slated all the time, then look into deep freeze.

Do I use offline updates? Yes, but not to add all updates because I don't like causing unnecessary pain.

I have a task sequence to deploy tablets. I set a Package Group so I can inject hotfixes or updates and only have them applied the right hardware.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Chang.soo Monday, June 29, 2015 8:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:21 PM
  • You don't need to script windows update or create a slipstreamed image because MDT already has the framework to run Windows update in the task sequence. Create a task sequence to build and capture a reference image.

If you're going to use MDT the above is one of the better ways in which to make a reference (Gold) image. Build it within a Virtual Machine so that when it reaches the suspend task, you can shut it down and make a snapshot or checkpoint. Take a look at this post - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

If you need to image many machines at once, when you were trying it over the network did you enable multicasting to speed things up? You do however need WDS for that. You can use MDT to make media to run a deployment from local media like a USB flash drive. The down sides to that is that if you update the deployment share with new applications or images you then need to update your media and all the drives you had it on.

It's your choice on how you want to use it, but over the network is usually the most efficient way to use MDT in the long run and you don't have to worry about deployments halting because a drive letter changed.

Friday, May 29, 2015 1:48 PM

All replies

• You should use offline media with MDT using a USB instead.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:39 AM
  • The problem with doing that is, A) server based through sharing is terribly slow b) on an actual HDD it would work perfectly so it is more Lite touch, then having to plug in this or that increasing the time required to get one machine up and running.
    • Edited by Chang.soo Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:43 AM
  • I still suggest Offline media to USB, that should solve your issue. It will boot to the USB and complete the deployment. The issue here is you can only do one at a time or one per USB stick created.

Network deployments are easier to manage if changes need to be made.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 9:50 AM
  • That does make sense But That way i might aswell just keep using the SITE share on the server. Even if it was on the HDD all i would still have to do is change it and clone it then back to normal states. Any particular reason You Suggest a USB? 
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 10:04 AM
  • A flash drive is faster, plus with a hard drive it's possible it could be detected as a fixed drive and mess with your deployment.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:26 PM
  • Like i said i had done over 200 computers with that method, and am wondering how to set it up like that. I mostly had worked with the network share. But at those few places i had been at, A Single drive boots into lite-touch, installs through local disk, deletes when finish. which ended up being max 45 mins. Using a Flash i haven't tried but over the network it takes 2 hours. 
    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:43 PM
  • They both have their downsides. Network will be slower when deploying, but easier to make updates and changes to the share. Local media is faster but updating the media because of changes or software updates takes time to complete, especially if you have several drives that need updating for other techs to use. To build your media go to "Advanced Configuration", right click on Media and choose New Media.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:52 PM
  • OK I see what the problem was I forgot to update media content. Decided to Try MDT 2013 instead, downloading the ADK still but will let you know what happens. Hopefully it has more features
    Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Offline media has all the features available in MDT. If you have no network however, you wont be able to run anything that relies on this. ie. Apps that need network connection to install (Office C2R without download, Microsoft Intune etc) and network domain joins.

NN

Thursday, May 21, 2015 10:31 AM
  • Shouldn't that still go through regardless of what media you select. For instance adobe flash player which is an online installer? OR  Example:  if a antivirus program needs network to setup DNS, Or like you say MS Office c2r.

Thursday, May 21, 2015 12:01 PM
  • If an app requires internet access and you are running the deployment offline, you will likely run into errors. You will need to workaround these in different ways, ie download the source content for Office C2R.

Your requirements may be different to mine.

NN

Thursday, May 21, 2015 1:50 PM
  • Oh Sorry I meant does selecting a local install for example: (media selection) would make it an automatic offline install regardless of when you put in the domain etc settings? Well you do have more points then me, so your advice is valuble
    Monday, May 25, 2015 7:09 AM
  • Just curious but if these machines will be domain joined (which means they need network access at some point) why not have them connected to the network when you run your task sequence? If they are connected, they can at least run Windows Update during the task sequence ensuring they will be fully patched when first used by the end user.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:08 AM
  • Network is on at that point, I don't think i specifically said offline, well what I meant was "not installed via deployment share" Well my Solution for windows update was that I was either going to try script it in somewhere  (pre or post?)or take the easy way and see if Microsoft has an updated image. <---- which they will probably tel me ill send you the link in 2 mins :P of which ends up being 2 infinity minutes... However worst case scenario i think i could make a slipstream image i guess.
    • Edited by Chang.soo Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:50 AM extra info
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:43 AM
  • You don't need to script windows update or create a slipstreamed image because MDT already has the framework to run Windows update in the task sequence. Create a task sequence to build and capture a reference image.

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:49 PM
  • I was looking at the offline update option in the add general, because otherwise wont it give bandwidth issues if you not using wsus if per say you do 5 at a time. Well Im still thinking of what options to use in the task sequence since its on a local media  .-. might just be easier to batch everything in, or most of everything in. Haven't actually set up MDT before, but i have time to play with it, so it seems like a worthwhile skill as far as automation goes.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Bandwidth issues, well that depends on your connection to the outside world so it's going to vary for different people with different setups. If you will be deploying that many machines often, you would likely be better setting up a WSUS server keeping the traffic internal not just for deployment purposes but for when clients check for updates after they've been deployed.

Again this is why it's a good practice to build a reference image with all the latest updates. If you build it on a VM you can snapshot the machine, then rollback, update it and continue the sequence to capture it with the latest patches. Then replace your current image with the newly captured image.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 1:31 PM
  • So have you tried the offline updates option when you add new section in the task sequences? wondering if that would work? i was thinking about sysprep and capture then i can deploy it with applications installed then i wont have to worry about finding command line codes for applications that aren't msi packages. <---- again its just speculation, not sure if that's possible or a bad solution or not. Its not often at the moment but the company could suggest that every week or so machines be reloaded to refresh data, which would suck 
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:06 PM
  • If your company wants machines clean slated all the time, then look into deep freeze.

Do I use offline updates? Yes, but not to add all updates because I don't like causing unnecessary pain.

I have a task sequence to deploy tablets. I set a Package Group so I can inject hotfixes or updates and only have them applied the right hardware.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:21 PM
  • We don't use deep freeze any more for some reason or other, a few years ago we were. Thats a quite interesting idea but i would suppose most updates are windows based not hardware based. well thats what i meant by just re-downloading windows from Microsoft. seems to me making a .wim is faster then adding in updates like this. (but maybe you will get errors with sysprep)
    Friday, May 29, 2015 10:50 AM

If you're going to use MDT the above is one of the better ways in which to make a reference (Gold) image. Build it within a Virtual Machine so that when it reaches the suspend task, you can shut it down and make a snapshot or checkpoint. Take a look at this post - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

If you need to image many machines at once, when you were trying it over the network did you enable multicasting to speed things up? You do however need WDS for that. You can use MDT to make media to run a deployment from local media like a USB flash drive. The down sides to that is that if you update the deployment share with new applications or images you then need to update your media and all the drives you had it on.

It's your choice on how you want to use it, but over the network is usually the most efficient way to use MDT in the long run and you don't have to worry about deployments halting because a drive letter changed.

Friday, May 29, 2015 1:48 PM