Why Does Service Manager Hate Me? Can't Install after an Uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

I'm getting a "An error occurred while executing a custom action:_CreateMOMRegKey" error when I try to reinstall SCSM 2010 after uninstalling it. 

How do I solve this?

Doug

Thursday, May 20, 2010 10:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues reinstalling Service Manager. There are two registry keys that are installed with SCSM and these are not removed on uninstall.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager

and

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\System Center

These keys usually do not cause an issue on reinstall, but you can make your server SCSM "clean" by removing these keys. Please back them up first, but you should have no need of them. They will be recreated with the new install.

Suzanne Sylliaasen[MSFT]

Service Manager Team

• Marked as answer by Doug Sigmon Friday, May 21, 2010 2:39 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 12:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Suzanne. Once I deleted the keys AND reinstalled the encryption key, the reinstall completed. SM 2010 and I are back on speaking terms again. :-)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Doug,

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues reinstalling Service Manager. There are two registry keys that are installed with SCSM and these are not removed on uninstall.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Operations Manager

and

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\System Center

These keys usually do not cause an issue on reinstall, but you can make your server SCSM "clean" by removing these keys. Please back them up first, but you should have no need of them. They will be recreated with the new install.

Suzanne Sylliaasen[MSFT]

Service Manager Team

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:25 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Suzanne. Once I deleted the keys AND reinstalled the encryption key, the reinstall completed. SM 2010 and I are back on speaking terms again. :-)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 2:39 PM
  • Hi Doug,

I didn't realize that you were reinstalling to use the existing database. The error that you got indicates that the encryption keys need to be restored from backup. This is a required step for a rebuild and not a fresh install.

Thanks,

Suzanne Sylliaasen[MSFT]

SErvice Manager Team

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:47 PM
    Answerer
  • I have this same issue but deleting the registry key did not fix the problem. From my original install of Service Manager it would never let me backup the security key even if I revert back to the snap before I removed the application it will not backup. It kept prompting me with a error so I skipped over that. But the application does not require that I supply the Key to reinstall as it is not listed in the disaster recovery guide for steps to reinstalling so I did not think this would be necessary. If I do not find a way around this soon I guess I will have to start over as this was test install for evaluation purposes.
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:53 PM
  • I'm losing faith in Svc Mgr!  If anyone knows the answer, please help!

I previously installed Svc Mgr 2010, the Cumulative 3 update, then SP1.  I've uninstalled (due to a data corruption with workflows failing around activities of change requests) the entire environment and tried reinstalling.  I receive the following error in the setup UI.

An error occurred while executing a custom action:_InstallServerPerfCountersForSDK.62894CB9_4320_40DB_B4E4_C0347FAB

The Setup Log shows the following

MSI (s) (60:DC) [13:11:21:579]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=_InstallServerPerfCountersForSDK.62894CB9_4320_40DB_B4E4_C0347FAB97B6,,)
    SetACLsOnNamedObject: DACL String. D:(A;OICI;KA;;;SY)(A;OICI;KRKW;;;S-1-5-21-2133408205-1241588195-1093625069-28174)(A;OICI;KA;;;BA)
    MSI (s) (60:DC) [13:11:21:598]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=_InstallServerPerfCountersForSDK.62894CB9_4320_40DB_B4E4_C0347FAB97B6,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=InstallServerPerfCounters,CustomActionData=C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll)
    MSI (s) (60:58) [13:11:21:662]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI64CA.tmp, Entrypoint: InstallServerPerfCounters
    CAPACK: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI64CA.tmp-\
    CAPACK: Binding to CLR version v2.0.50727
    Calling custom action CAManaged!Microsoft.MOMv3.Setup.MOMv3ManagedCAs.InstallServerPerfCounters
    MOMPerformanceCounterInstaller: adding perf dll C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll
    MOMPerformanceCounterInstaller: Error: The installation failed, and the rollback has been performed.
    MSI (s) (60:58) [13:11:23:905]: NOTE: custom action _InstallServerPerfCountersForSDK.62894CB9_4320_40DB_B4E4_C0347FAB97B6 unexpectedly closed the hInstall handle (type MSIHANDLE) provided to it. The custom action should be fixed to not close that handle.
    StackTrace:    at System.Configuration.Install.TransactedInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)
       at Microsoft.MOMv3.Setup.MOMv3ManagedCAs.MOMPerformanceCounterInstaller(Session session, Boolean bInstall)

I found the Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.InstallLog in the installation directory which has the following.

Installing assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll
       logfile = C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.InstallLog
       logtoconsole =
    An exception occurred while trying to find the installers in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll assembly.
    System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
    Aborting installation for C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll.
    Rolling back assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center\Service Manager 2010\Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.DataAccessService.Core.dll'.

Found the issue.  The Authoring Tool was installed.  After uninstalling the author tool, everything installed fine.

JoeyD

• Edited by JDAllen Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:56 PM Found issue
    Wednesday, December 22, 2010 7:25 PM
  • Hi!

we have the same problem whike installing SM for learning purposes (M50217 courseware)

During the Finalize step  - Removing backups, error occurs, and installation rolls back.

What authoring tool d'you mean to delete to fix the problem?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 12:48 PM