none
New Print Server Which Version Of Drivers To Use RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm starting this project from scratch.  

We deployed a new print server 2016.  The older servers I've inherited, but this is the first one from scratch. My question is: when I'm adding drivers via Print Management, do I install/add the drivers of the clients that will be connecting and installing the printers (Windows 10) or the print drivers for the server for that particular printer (Server 2016 Drivers)?  

Reason I ask is some of the models of printers have Windows 10 Drivers, but no Server 2016 Drivers.  I've seen that some drivers are the same versions no matter what OS you pick. Could always use the HP Universal Print Driver (UPD).

Unsure about what the best practices for this are.

• Edited by congerking Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:14 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 7:12 AM

All replies

• It is shared
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 1:25 PM
  • HI

1."Could always use the HP Universal Print Driver (UPD)."
    In general ,the answer is yes. it will let printer server manage multiple printers driver with the same brand easily. 

There is a third party printer instruction about UPD ,i think this document is very good. 

HP Universal Print Drivers for Windows
    The Universal Printer Driver (UPD) was created to facilitate printer installations in a managed (IT) business environment where multiple printer models and multiple drivers might otherwise be needed. Driver management is greatly simplified. UPD types can be identified by the name appended to the end of the title (e.g. PCL 5, PCL 6, PostScript).
    For Windows users that want a driver without an installer or extra software, the HP Universal Print Driver (UPD) is recommended. The HP Universal Print Driver (UPD) is a single driver which provides printing support for multiple HP Printer models in a Windows environment in lieu of printer-specific drivers for each printer. This makes it easy for system administrators and IT help desks to distribute.

When to choose a UPD
    (1)When you have a managed print environment with multiple HP Printer models – in order to reduce the number of unique printer drivers to be installed and managed (typically used by print administrators or IT staff).
    (2)When a driver was not included with your Windows OS (In-OS driver) and there is no Windows Update driver option available.
    (3)When you want more advanced driver functionality or features that are not available with the In-OS driver.
    How to Select the Correct Printer Driver
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00751649

Please Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.<o:p></o:p>

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 2:18 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Saturday, February 15, 2020 12:47 AM