none
Hyper-V Server 2016 and Data Deduplication

Question

• Hello,

I wanted to test a virtualized System Center 2016 DPM running on the free Hyper-V Server 2016, with DAS to the physical server running Hyper-V Server 2016.  The plan was to take advantage of the DPM 2016 MBS methods, but I noticed that the Data Deduplication feature is not available to install on the free Hyper-V Server 2016.

Is this by design?  I was hoping to take advantage of deduplicating .VHDX virtual disks on the DAS for the SC-DPM virtual machine running on it.

I don't think I should need to run the full version of Windows Server 2016 just to use the data deduplication feature.  That seems as if it should be part of the free Hyper-V 2016 hypervisor features, because you can use it for VMs running on the hypervisor.

Is there another way I can get this done on Hyper-V Server?

Friday, March 24, 2017 7:00 PM

All replies

• The free version of Hyper-V Server is intended to be hypervisor only. It will have minimal functionality other than running VMs. Data De-Duplication is a software based storage feature so it makes since for it to be unavailable in the free Hyper-V Server. You'll either need hardware based de-duplication, or you'll need to buy a full Windows license to get software de-duplication.
    • Proposed as answer by D.Pope MCSE Monday, March 27, 2017 4:00 AM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 8:28 PM