Can I delete the Windows XP TaskScheduler account RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in deleting the local TaskScheduler account from our Windows XP machines to reduce the accounts on the machine for security reasons. Is this going to cause issues with the operation of the machine? I have been looking for information on this but can't really find anything. If I remember correctly there are some processes such as disk defragmentation that rely on this account but I am not sure of this. Can anyone think of any issues that may pop up because of this?

Thanks, Dennis

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennis,

Please check the article below to see if it is helpful:

How to prevent a user from running Task Scheduler in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305612

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thank you so much for the reply but what I was looking at doing was removing this account from the machine so it no longer exists. having multiple accounts in the machine leaves too many security holes especially with the TaskScheduler having full admin rights on the machine. We want to delete the TaskScheduler from our machines but I am not sure what relies on this account and I don't want to break anything. We are upgrading as many of our machines as we can to Windows 7 which is more secure by far but we do have projects that need Windows XP so we are just trying to make it as secure as possible.

What services or processes in Windows XP actually rely on the TaskSchedular account?

• Performance enhancing tasks (disk defragmentation I think)
    • The prefetch system

I would like to delete this account from the machine and disable its service but I want to make sure this doesn't cause issues down the road. I know this is also popular for virus/maleware attacks and if it is not needed then it should be removed. We use Diskeeper so defragmentation is not going to be an issue and I think McAfee uses its owner scheduler so I don't think this will be an issue either.

Thanks, Dennis

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:02 PM
  • I did find the service is used with SCCM 2012 for client heath checks so the account may be removed the service should not be disabled if you are going to use SCCM 2012.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:18 PM