OK to delete secondary site??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..

We're closing down a data center and decommissioning a server that serves as a secondary site.

I've migrated all distribution points to the primary site server already, and no client devices list the site code of the secondary server.

Is it safe now to remove it from the site hierarchy and shut it down, or do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!

-A

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Just double check that all objects related to the secondary are removed from the System Management container in AD.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:14 PM
  • Thank you sir.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but where in AD would I look for that container?  Is it different in every environment?

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:16 PM
  • Open Active Directory Users and Computers  (Advanced View)

System > System Management

Check for the objects Torsten describes and delete them - don't touch anything else

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Edited by Gerry HampsonMVP Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:25 PM edit
    • Marked as answer by Adam at CB Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:34 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Cool.  got it. Thank you.

I only see 2 objects... an mSSMSManagementPoint and an mSMSSite

Does it matter if I delete them before or after I remove the site from the hierarchy?

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Doesn't matter.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:30 PM
  • It does matter. They might be recreated by the secondary site if you delete them before the secondary was uninstalled.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 3:53 PM