App-v Suggestions (not sure where to post them). RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a few .. suggestions...

1) Can you "integrate" the app-v Server client & app-v client.. into a SINGLE client.. and make the "server" a per package option. So when the service starts it auto loads all "server" packages.

2) Can you modify the packager to "capture" drivers, context menus, etc... and put them in the MSI (with modified paths for context menus to point to the packages.. It is already identifying these elements as "non-virtualized" so it seems like you should be able to capture these into the msi for local installation using the msi.

3) Can you modify the app-v client to use NTFS for the Q: drive instead of its special fs. (or add junction feature to this FS) This would allow "4G+ packages" to be captured into multiple files.. and have a pre-execution script for the main package that mounts the packages together using junctions.

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. I don't understand the question?

2. You will have to identify and build the MSI on your own - but yes

See this as an example;

http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/adding-shell-extensions-to-app-v-packages/

3. No

In case you actually want to request these features to be implemented - first of all it would be good to clarify in great detail how you prioritize and further explain what you mean and their use case. I suggest contacting your Microsoft Technical Account Manager

/Znack
    Monday, June 20, 2011 3:53 PM
  • No.. I was "suggesting" a few  enhancements i would like to see in future versions of app-v.

1- is to integrate the new "server" app-v client & standard app-v client into a single client... and move "server" option to a per-package option. FYI: server app-v client is a "poped bubble" app-v service.. that auto loads the packages on server startup.. currently designed for server side applications that need to be loaded all the time. 

2- I would like the package to automaticly do this for me.

3- Again.. its a suggestion.. I realize that it does not currently work this way.

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hello,

See my above suggestion if you feel that these are things that Microsoft should address
    /Znack
    Monday, June 20, 2011 4:07 PM
  • sorry, missed that last line of your post...

Reasons for Suggestions:

1- Allows "Web Plugins" such as Flash to be virtualized without forcing users to use a special shortcut to get "into" the bubble.

2- Allows more applications to be deployed (through SCCM) without ALOT of specialized knowledge and extra work. Examples: 7zip adds context menus for right click Shell integration to Explorer. Lego Mindstorm NXT-G software uses a driver to connect to the USB device required for software installation.

3- Allows LARGE app-v suites to be packaged together as they would normally be installed locally. Adobe CS, Autodesk, etc... This reduces the need to "suite" applications together. Which therefore speeds up the virtualization process.

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hello,

You probably didn't read the entire paragraph;

I suggest contacting your Microsoft Technical Account Manager

The forum is a community effort which intended for people to gain knowledge about the existing product. The value of feedback generated to official Microsoft employees is much appreciated.

/Znack
    Monday, June 20, 2011 4:23 PM
  • oh yeah.. i already sent an email to J. C. Hornbeck ...

I am wondering how many other people here would be interested in these "features"...

Monday, June 20, 2011 4:41 PM
  • Option 1 is available now - depending on your deployment options:

* If you are using the Management Server you can use the AutoLoad options in the client

* If you're using the MSI for deployment it will load the entire package at install time

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Monday, June 20, 2011 7:41 PM