Clients in DMZ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have some Windows 2003 servers and XP clients in the DMZ. I would like them be managed by the FCS management server inside our network (on the other side of the firewall), and pick up the updates from the wsus server inside our domain.

Which ports do I need open on the firewall to achieve this?

Thanks

Friday, February 6, 2009 1:40 PM

All replies

• Are Clients(Windows 2003 Servers and XP Clients) in the DMZ joined to DC in the inside network? or not?

If you just want to update. Just open the port TCP 80 to Internal WSUS Server or internal network.

and, you want to manage them. you also open ports 1433(TCP, UPD), 445(TCP, UDP), 443(TCP).

but, I'm sorry could not tested.

Have a good luck.

[Reference]

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb404251.aspx

Component Connection Topologies Port (protocols) Notes

Collection server

To collection database

Five-server and six-server

1433 (TCP and UDP)

None.

Management server

To collection server

Four-server, five-server, and six-server

445 (TCP and UDP), 135 (TCP), and DCOM port range

Using a firewall between these two servers is not supported. The Microsoft Operations Manager (MOM) Administrator and Operator consoles on the management server require a connection to the collection server.

Management server

To collection database

1433 (TCP) and 1434 (UDP)

None.

Management server

To reporting server

Three-server, four-server, five-server, and six-server

80 (TCP) or 443 (TCP)

Port 80 is used for HTTP and port 443 is used for HTTPS.

Reporting database

To collection database

Three-server, four-server, and six-server

Using a firewall between these two databases is not supported.

Reporting server

Collection database

None.

Reporting server

Reporting database

Three-server, five-server, and six-server

None.

Distribution server

To Microsoft Update or upstream WSUS server

All

80 (TCP) or 443 (TCP)

To obtain updates from Microsoft Update, the distribution server uses port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS.

Urikiri
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 3:25 PM
  • The clients are not joined to the internal domain.

I will open these ports and give it a go. I guess I need to open the ports both ways?

Thanks

Monday, February 9, 2009 8:30 AM
  • Hi

If the clients are not joined to the domain you will not be able to install the MOM componenet automatically to manage the clients.

The above answer also assumed that you use TCP port 80 for your WSUS server.  However it could also be 443, 8530 and 8531(ssl).

You would also need to open up port 1270 between the DMZ and internal network for MOM communication.

To acheive what you want to do I can recommend the following:

1.  Turn off Mutual authentication on the Forefront MOM server.  (lowers overall security of Forefront enviroment but is the only option to manage non-domain joined clients.
    2.  Create a registry file policy from the forefront client security console.  Import this policy on the non-domain joined machines using the FCSLOCALPOLICYTOOL.
    3.  Create a manual local group policy on the non-domain joined machines that points them to your internal WSUS server.
    4. Run a gpupdate /force to update the policies immediatly if required.
    5.  Install the forefront client
    6.  Install the MOM agent on these machines manually using the following switches : msiexec /i momagent.msi CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION="AddConfigGroup" CONFIG_GROUP="your group name" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="your server name"AM_CONTROL="Full" REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN="0" /q

You will now be able to manage the non-domain joined machines from your forefront console.

Kind Regards

Robert Lourenco

Monday, February 9, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Hi!

You shouls also know that turning of Mutual authentication is not supported by Microsoft.

Good Luck

/Johan
    MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Monday, February 9, 2009 3:59 PM