Outlook 2016 and IMAP - duplicate Drafts generated in Drafts folder RRS feed

• Question

• We have two reproducable problems with Outlook 2016 for Home and Business Users version 16.0.9001.2080 32-bits, in combination with hMailServer IMAP-accounts.

1. Outlook creates two copies of a draft, when saving a new e-mail. When the e-mail is sent, one of the two copies remains... which results in a cluttered Drafts folder and people that don't remember if they've already sent their mails or not.

2. Outlook only allows for one time saving of a draft; if you add stuff to your e-mail and press Save again, it won't get saved. The workaround is closing the new e-mail, opening the firstly saved draft and continue typing... but again, only a single Save action is possible.

Does anyone have had these or one of these problems, with hMailServer or with other IMAP servers, and has solved it?

We've tried Thunderbird and it doesn't create these issues... yet a few of our customers have this Outlook 2016 and hMailServer combi.
    Also, Outlook knows where the Drafts folder is located; we've experimented with setting a 'rootfolder' to 'INBOX' but it only results in having the exact same issues in 'INBOX.Drafts'.

Please help!

• Moved by Steve Fan Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:59 AM m
    Tuesday, February 13, 2018 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Are these issues replicable in Outlook safe mode? To start Outlook in safe mode, press Win key + R to open the Run command, typeoutlook /safe and press Enter.

Besides, I'd recommend you create a new Outlook profile and try set up your email account in the new profile to see whether this issue continues. It's no need to delete current profile, just create a new one for testing. For your convenience:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-an-outlook-profile-f544c1ba-3352-4b3b-be0b-8d42a540459d

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 20, 2018 5:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:41 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got an opportunity to try Outlook safe mode and testing with a new mail profile?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:50 AM
  • Dear Steve,

I'm sorry I didn't receive email notifications so I lost track of this.

I tried outlook in Safe mode, unfortunately both issues still occur.

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 4:26 PM
  • This is not a client issue, the similar behavoirs is related to Windows 10 Mail software, if locale of the system differs from en-US, then client software differs IMAP folders because server software (hMailServer) is out of luck supportinh i18n IMAP folders, just (Windows 1252 - Unicode) or similar encoding comparison issues, that is why you will never get rid of duplicate Folders, (or even Mispelled some folders: Deleted and Sent Items - duplicates in English in my case - because I've got Russal System locale on Windows Server 2016), so this is exactly the server issue, which cannot afford working with clients with different encodings (as I mentioned earlier Windows 1251 - Unicode comparison and related issues in code base). I'm pretty shure that this is a code error because overwize ALL folders might be duplicated of NONE at all, so it is definetely error related with some client-server paris, as i mentioned earlier, Windows Mail program works seamlessly on the same server and sam emal account using just SMTP and POP3 version and totally fails when working through IMAP, regardless of TLS/SSL version (i.e. IMAPS) of the protocols.

I beleive that invesigation and resolving an issue is possible if anyone will opensources this project (hMailServer) on github and give full access to open source community to analyze code (PST Studio), solve issues and fix such an errors

You can try to update database to UTF8, as here:

https://github.com/hmailserver/hmailserver/commit/48babe19dbb4f905c34ea1d134d25e55e131c337

and try to update binaries to hMailServer BETA,

Also, try to check the hm_imapfolders database on a server, for a duplicate folders

• Edited by Mustafin Artur Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:23 AM assed database table name
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:12 AM