need a report that tells me everything we currently monitor with their thresholds. RRS feed

• Question

• i need to print out everything we monitor in SCOM, example. physical drive space warnings happen at 80% full. how do i power shell or SQL statement to get that type of info for every monitor or alert we have. 
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 10:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to use command "get-scommonitor" to get the property "configuration" for each monitor that you want to check .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 8, 2017 8:48 AM
  • "everything we monitor in SCOM, " <-- Good luck with that. 

Out of the box when the agent is installed on a windows server (and just a handful of MPs imported in your MG), each agent could have over 700 monitors & rules active on it (a SQL server is even worse if you have the SQL MPs imported).  If you've configured overrides for those monitors and rules then your report is even more crazy as you'll end up with 100s of variants for each monitor/rule you've overridden to each override target.  Getting a 'print out' will kill a few trees and probably require a whole wall sized file cabinet to store.

B. Wright

Friday, December 8, 2017 2:54 PM
  • "everything we monitor in SCOM, " <-- Good luck with that. 

Out of the box when the agent is installed on a windows server (and just a handful of MPs imported in your MG), each agent could have over 700 monitors & rules active on it (a SQL server is even worse if you have the SQL MPs imported).  If you've configured overrides for those monitors and rules then your report is even more crazy as you'll end up with 100s of variants for each monitor/rule you've overridden to each override target.  Getting a 'print out' will kill a few trees and probably require a whole wall sized file cabinet to store.

B. Wright

yup i understand that, so how do you go to the contract owner and say here is a list of all the things we monitor and and you can see here we meet the SLA for getting an alert when a hard drive on blank computer reaches blank threshold?

or your boss send you an e-mail and says i need a copy of everything we monitor and the properties for when an alert is generated.

Friday, December 8, 2017 4:34 PM

• yup i understand that, so how do you go to the contract owner and say here is a list of all the things we monitor and and you can see here we meet the SLA for getting an alert when a hard drive on blank computer reaches blank threshold?

or your boss send you an e-mail and says i need a copy of everything we monitor and the properties for when an alert is generated.

Hi,

Yes, that is the question I get asked a lot as well. But I haven't come with a definite solution to it so far. What I do instead is this:

For all monitors running in SCOM,

get-scommonitor | export-csv "path\monitors.csv"

Usually the most important things (or the things that interest the management the most, like services monitored, cpu, memory thresholds, etc) are present in monitors. Exporting in a csv makes it a lot easier to manipulate the data.

For rule, similar:

get-scomrule | export-csv "path\rules.csv"

Rules would contain a lot of "extra" stuff that your manager/client may not want to see. You can trim it all down in excel and show only the important data.

Cheers,

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Friday, December 8, 2017 4:54 PM
  • 1) use powershell get-scomclass and get-scomclassinstance to provide list of windows computer
    2) for each computer instance , use Export-SCOMEffectiveMonitoringConfiguration to export all monitoring configure to a text file

Roger

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:14 PM
    Monday, December 11, 2017 9:13 AM