none
Internet Explorer 9 Start Menu Icons RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble where when some users log in to machines for the first time they ONLY get a 64bit IE icon and it says "Internet Explorer" (not Internet Explorer 64bit)  Other user log in and get both Internet Explorer (pointing to x86 directory) and Internet Explorer 64bit.   I can't figure out what is happening.

There are all newly installed machines where no users have previously logged in running Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit. We do not have raoming user profiles enabled.  All users in the scenario below are non-administrative users.

The machines were installed on Sept 7 with Internet Explorer 8 installed.

At 4:00AM on Sept 12, I deployed a IE 9 installer customized with IEAK using SCCM.  The installer exited with a 3010 status and I reboot.

At 6:00AM  on Sept 12 User#1 logged in.  Looking at her profile c:\users\<username>\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs...  I see two IE icons 32 and 64bit (correct!)

At 1:13 on Sept 13 User#2 logged in.  Looking in the user start menu folder I see only one IE icon "Internet Explorer" and it is pointing to the 64bit Program Files folder path (incorrect!)

At 1:30 on Sept 13 User 3 loggs in with the same outcome as user 2.

at 3:10 on Sept 13 User 4 logs in and the user gets both icons in their profile. (correct)

at 3:30 on Sept 13 user 5 logs in and also has correct pair of IE icons

I can't figure out what in the world is going on.  This is not isolated to a single computer, but is hapening on multiple machines that were upgraded to IE 9.  It seems random what users get the single incorrect IE icon or the correct pair of icons with both bitnesses.  Any ideas?

Friday, September 13, 2013 9:40 PM

Answers

• I think Internet Explorer minisetup that runs on first logon writes a log someplace, but I can;t find it.  Does anyone know where the log file is written that runs to set up a user's IE settings on first logon?

You could run ProcMon to find it being created or changed.   ; )

Also, regarding the issue of having a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit, check to see if EPM is enabled (in Options, Advanced tab, Security section).   Supposedly doing that makes everything 64-bit.   ProcMon could help with that analysis too.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:30 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue occur on multiple computers that were upgraded to Internet Explorer 9 or all computers that were upgraded to Internet Explorer 9?

Is the user account like User 1, User 4 and User 5 which have correct pair of Internet Explorer icons normal in all upgraded computers?

Needs to be pointed out is that the 32-bit operating system computer can't install 64 bit Internet Explorer.

If you ensured that the computer is 64-bit, the start menu icon is just a shortcut. We can follow these steps to create it:

1. Find the Internet Explorer 64-bit and 32-bit programs location;

2. Drag the "iexplore.exe" to Start button to pin it to the start menu.

If the issue still persists, I suspect your deployment has problem. Please try to system restore to roll back to the previous state. Then re-upgrade to Internet Explorer 9.

Meanwhile, we'd recommend that you ask System Center Configuration Manager forum for more professional help about deployment with it:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/home?category=configurationmanager

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 5:57 AM
  • All machines with the problem are set up in the way described in the original post.  Not all machines installed and upgraded to IE 9 have the problem.  The users I am describing are users on the same computer - not different computers.  I mean the first user to log in to the computer gets both icons.  The next user to log in to the SAME COMPUTER gets only one icon, later users on the SAME computer may get one or both icons.

Some users who log into these machines get both 32 bit and 64 bit some get only an icon for the 64bit IE  - and the shortcut is titled "Internet Explorer" not "Internet Explorer (64-bit)"

Yes, of course I can create icons for them or insrtruct them on how to create the icons.  That is not a practical solution, nor does it answer why this is happening.

I think Internet Explorer minisetup that runs on first logon writes a log someplace, but I can;t find it.  Does anyone know where the log file is written that runs to set up a user's IE settings on first logon?

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:36 PM
  • I think Internet Explorer minisetup that runs on first logon writes a log someplace, but I can;t find it.  Does anyone know where the log file is written that runs to set up a user's IE settings on first logon?

You could run ProcMon to find it being created or changed.   ; )

Also, regarding the issue of having a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit, check to see if EPM is enabled (in Options, Advanced tab, Security section).   Supposedly doing that makes everything 64-bit.   ProcMon could help with that analysis too.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, September 16, 2013 4:30 PM
    Answerer