device driver for DVD/CD RRS feed

• Question

•   Vista does not recognise the DVD/CD although it confirms that I have the latest drivers installed. I uninstalled and re-installed but got the same problem. I tried it with a vista ready externak drive again the same problem. Windows gives me the following message" Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing ( Code 39)" but it also tells me that I have the latest driver for the DVD/CD drives. The DVD/CD hardware is also not listed under the control panel i.e.the system does not see the hardware. Any suggestions?

Hans

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:47 PM

Answers

• does your BIOS see the DVD/CD drive?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:15 PM
  •  

Thanks, how do I get to the Bios and what do I look for in the BIOS, I am not that familiar with computers.

Uninstalling and restarting did not help, I tried this before.

Thanks

Friday, April 27, 2007 2:38 AM
  • I have the same exact problem on WindowXP Pro SP2. (code 19) Mine is an Asus M2NPV-VM board. I've updated the BIOS, tried both IDE Primary Secondary, swapped out cables...nothing has worked. Any hope?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:05 AM

All replies

• does your BIOS see the DVD/CD drive?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:15 PM
  •  

Thanks, how do I get to the Bios and what do I look for in the BIOS, I am not that familiar with computers.

Uninstalling and restarting did not help, I tried this before.

Thanks

Friday, April 27, 2007 2:38 AM
  • Same problem has above. The BIOS sees the my LG GSA-H22L CD/DVD writter. Vista was installed with that device and it worked for a month. Now it does not, uninstalling the device and doing a hardware scan detects the correct device.

Device manager shows an exclamation mark with the following message: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Updating the driver does not work: "The best driver software for your device is already installed, Windows has detrmine the driver software for your device is up to date". The rollback option is grayed out.

Anyone with a suggestion?

Monday, April 30, 2007 3:59 PM
  •  

Ditto for me...  DVDROM has been working for months, then it just suddenly disappeared.  The motherboard is an ASUS P5LD2.  I've tried the drive on the RAID controller, as well as on the Primary & Secondary IDE channels.  I've also tried two other DVDROM drives.

No dice.  Are there any ideas on how to fix this?  I've been supporting Windows since 1993, and I've never seen anything like this.

This is frustrating the heck out of me - I honestly regret buying Vista Ultimate.  I should have stuck to XP Pro.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Jamie

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 1:25 AM
  • I have the same exact problem on WindowXP Pro SP2. (code 19) Mine is an Asus M2NPV-VM board. I've updated the BIOS, tried both IDE Primary Secondary, swapped out cables...nothing has worked. Any hope?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:05 AM
  • I have the same problem... I have 4x DVD Burners/ Rams and the all say

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Running Vista Ultimate

Even if I put an external unit on via the USB I still get the same
    The device manager see the units with the yellow warning triangle against them.

I have done the remove / uninstall  but no luck..
    Any ideas more than welcome before last resort and complete rebuild
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 6:52 PM
  • I've seen Code 10 on ODDs but not Code 39 or 19

For Code 10, I see this issue on systems where there are cd/dvd burning filter conflicts. Try uninstalling your 3rd Party CD/DVD burning software that did not come with your system or that were not designed for Vista (e.g. designed for XP)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310123

Code 39

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Recommended resolution

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

Uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall or upgrade the driver.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Back to the top

Code 19

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Recommended resolution

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Try these options:

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard. Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly. For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at: .

Back to the top

Friday, July 6, 2007 2:01 AM
  • i followed the advice for the code 39 but i still get the same problem can some 1 help please

is there a replacement driver for the windows vista 64bit os

my dvd drive is a philips dvd8801

it was working till tonight then it just stoped

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:58 AM
  • 1. Try uninstalling your 3rd Party CD/DVD burning software that did not come with your system or that were not designed for Vista (e.g. designed for XP)

or try

2. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314060

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:09 PM
  • the only cd dvd burning software is the one  that came with vista and the code 39 advice on that link fails to fix this problem
    Monday, July 16, 2007 10:41 PM
  • mine seems to work sporadically.

Vista ultimate shows it in My Computer,   but does not allow writing to it.    Likewise,  MediaPlayer does not see the drive at all.

Audiograbber occassionaly see's the drive. 

Drive worked fine before, and I did install from it! 

I tried swapping with another drive but same problem, so I don't think it is the hardware, since the BIOS sees it and it appears readable by Explorer.

I tried installing Nero 6 but that was incompatible with Vista.

I'm running an Abit  NF-M2S motherboard.  Had to upgrade the BIOS to thelatest Vista compatible level to get the sound and network working, but otherwise fine and runs Aero on the inbuilt graphics.

I think there are some fundamental  problems with the Vista Cd/DVD writing software.   This is possibly casued by installing other software, but there seems to be no way to restore it to its original condition.

I have another system running vista Enterprise 64-bit.  The DVD writer works on that   - however it took it over 4 hours to write a single DVD!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 1:16 PM
  • it seems to be the cdrom.sys file or the siremfil.sys file both in C:/windows/system32/drivers folder

is there any posable way of deleting and downloading repaired versions of these files?

why dose it take a month or so for this error to occour

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:19 PM
  • My vista Home Premium is doing the same code 39 DVD-writer Samsung , but everything was fine until I activated windows, I installed a few days ago and everything was just looking fine, I have checked the said drive and it work fine in another system running XP home edition, I even tried in two known to work DVD-rom drives and still the same code 39. First off thought maybe sometime wrong with motherboard Foxconn 6150K8MA-K8RS, but no I plugged in another drive and used the said DVD-Writter to install XP and it worked fine.
    I am going to try some of what people said I still think is some wrong in the registry, as did have a simply problem with Windows 95 could't see a CD-ROM drive but it the days before activation, just reinstalled everything and it was fine. And that was a conflict with 3rd party software writing software and the system.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Same problem, I know it's not a hardware issue. I'm able to boot from the CD-ROM, use it from XP Dual boot and Linux.

Also interesting. The same problem occurs with the virtual (DaemonTools) SCSI drive.

It all happened after a reboot. Most likely the first reboot after installing "Iso Recorder" for Vista.
    The recorder and player worked fine, until the reboot. And iso recorder worked fine on my previous vista installation.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:47 PM
  •  

SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060 .

The article is written for XP and I have Vista Ultimate. So I had to follow method 2 and do everything manually. 

Both my internal DVD-drive and my external DVD writer are working again.

Inno
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:26 AM
  • Thx man, I also had to use method 2. I had no upper filter only the lower one but removing/deleting that seems to have sorted it out.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 9:28 AM
  •  

Hey....did you need to reinstall a cd recording program after restarting the computer??

I have a brand new computer with Vista (garbage) and it suddenly doesn't recognize the dvd/cd drive.  Device manager shows all working properly......drive suddenly does not work....error message says "application not found".

Will this fix work for me?  Sounds very similar.    Would I have to purchase a cd recording program after taking the steps in method 2?

Thanks for any ideas...this sure is annoying.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 3:42 AM
  •  

Thank you Inno78, I just bought this computer like a month ago and started to have the same problem with the CD/DVD drive, made all the changes suggested and I have it back.  I hope it remains like that, ie working Smile I called the tech support for Toshiba (my computer), they asked me to send it over, so apparently I saved myslef all that trouble. Thanx again.
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 5:44 PM
  • what is the solution to this problem i cannot download anti-virus cd that i purchased.  help please

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 3:09 AM
  • I have Vista and experienced this problem.  I put a writing program into the recycle bin and the writer stopped working and doesn't appear under My Computer.  I checked out the article, but where it says I should have upper filters there are none.  Didn't do anything as I'm not thaaat familiar with computers and didn't want to screw anything up.  Do you have any advice on this?  Should I contact the store I bought it at (Been less than a month since I bought it)...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Hi, maybe it's better, I think I was lucky at solving this problem myself, but when I contacted the tech support for toshiba (my computer) at first they told me this is a very common problem with Vista software and usually happens after you run something from a CD.  They offered me to fix the software issue, so if you have warranty or tech support maybe  its a good idea to contact them.  As I said in a previous post, I saved myslef the trip to the technical support because it fixed after the article's explanation.  I think someone here fixed it without having filters as well, but I don't know how you can do that.

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:32 AM
  • This fix sure worked for me on an Acer Aspire 3000.  Lost DVD during/following a recent malware clean-up.

I remember having to do this with an early-model of LG CD burner which could read DVD discs, but I believe that was under Win98?  Or maybe it was just SP1 - and seemed like 98? (grin)

Thanks for the fix, Inno!!!  You da bomb!
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:13 AM
  • Careful with deleting the upper and lower filters. Yeah, you got your drives to work, but you can't burn CDs/DVDs anymore. You may need to re-install your CD/DVD burning software.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:40 AM
  • So, in that case what would be a good solution? I reinstalled my computer using the software I got from Toshiba, I don't have an other DVD/CD burner....shold I get one? like Nero or similar?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:47 PM
  •  

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I get this for any and all DVD players I either had installed alreayd or tried to install. One day, the above error message just appeared. I have XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2. I tried it all....uninstalling the devices, roll back the driver, deleting the Lower Filter registry, etc...my friend claims remapping may work, but I can not figure what folder to put it in or how to name a new folder.

Any help please? I need the DVD's to take football film from small vidoe tapes.....

Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Thanks Inno78 your fix worked perfect, I recommend it to anyone that is having a simmilar problem

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:52 PM
  •  Inno78 wrote:

SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060 .

The article is written for XP and I have Vista Ultimate. So I had to follow method 2 and do everything manually. 

Inno

Worked great thanks

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:55 PM
  • Running Vista Home Premium. Second solution worked. Have 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVDRW both connected by sata adapter cards.

Thanks.

Monday, October 1, 2007 9:47 PM
  • I've had no luck trying all the advice here and knowledgebase for this problem. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, a windows hotfix, 3 different drives; 1 a SATA, and 2 IDE's, and I still have no cdrom in my computer... Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

...is what comes up in device mngr. WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:23 AM
  • Try is sometimes windows database gets fucked and you need to delete the upper and lower filfters just remember to make backups as the text says, I received code 39 and also code 19. It seems to be something to do with 3rd party burning software.

Summary You may encounter a situation where the CD / DVD drive appears to be faulty because one of the following symptoms may be occuring:

You cannot access the CD drive or the DVD drive by using My Computer.

One of the following error messages appears when you view the CD drive or the DVD drive in Device Manager:

Error message 1
    The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).

Error message 2
    A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or Code 31).

Error message 3
    Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)

You receive an "error code 39" error message.

A message that resembles the following appears in the notification area:
    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Solution(s) The drive is not faulty but a modification to the registry is required to resolve the issue. Follow the steps below very carefully to ensure no other problems are caused by editing the registry.

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

Click Start

Click Run

Type regedit and then click OK

Registry Editor starts

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

In Registry Editor, expand My Computer by clicking the + symbol next to the name

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Expand SYSTEM

Expand CurrentControlSet.

Expand Control

Expand Class

Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} - click on the name and NOT the +

In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters

Note A UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.

On the Edit menu, click Delete

When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:

Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

In Registry Editor, stay in the same location as you were for the UpperFilters entry. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note A LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:

Are you sure you want to delete this value?

The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer

If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

I hope this is helpful
    Monday, December 31, 2007 1:12 AM
  • I am using Vista Home Premium and my dvd drive is a TSSTCorp TS-h653b. I have follwed all the steps listed above, uninstalled any and all burning programs that could have cause the problem, deleted the upper and lower filters, and unistalled the drive itself. I do not get any error codes but my drive is listed under other devices in the device manager insted of disk drives. Any help would be appreciated.
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:01 AM
  • I have the same problem...I see Code 10..but say i have updated drivers...i dont know what to do...

Monday, January 28, 2008 2:40 AM
  • Okay....will this fix work to eliminate my quandary?

My quandary is this:

XPS 420 quad core blah blah blah plenty of memory and speed etc..
    Windows Vista
    Creative SB X-Fi

tsstcorp dvd+-rw ts-h653b ata device

I use Adobe Audition 3.0 and Sony CD Architect 5.2 for music production (mastering)....or at least that was my hope.  The only thing able to burn CDs is windows media player, but I need for either Audition or Architect to burn CDs.  At this point they cannot.

I have removed/uninstalled/reinstalled/disabled etc. etc ad infinitum what the Adobe forums have recommended - to no avail.  Audition simply freezes and Architect takes like 45 minutes of "thinking" before I get this....

'SFMMCX'-(17)

''-(1)

-'TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B D200'-(0)

Module sfmmcx.cpp Line 2151

A medium error occurred.

A write error occurred. Make sure your media is approved for this drive.

Command: 2a 00 00 00 01 8c 00 00 1a 00

Sense: 03 0c 00

Info: 00 00 00 00

Specific: 00 00 00

Extra: 00 00 00 00 00 00 08 00 ee 00

In BOTH cases I have to use task manager to close the programs. 

What makes no sense to me is why Media Player can burn a CD, but neither Audition nor Architect can...any help??

Sunday, February 24, 2008 8:59 AM
  • Got the same problem... Time to get rid of Vista or haul Gates butt into court for fucking up my computer!!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 4:21 AM
  • FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  After recieving this exact same message, I really don't have any reason for choking

my very good friend  

One evening she spent several hours (doing whatever it was that she was doing) here "JUST CHECKING HER E-MAIL" .

Long story short. The next day I log on so that I could burn a cd for a friend, and thats when I discovered that the dvd/cd-rom drive didn't work. Just seconds later the very same message appeard on my screen.

After trying all of the quick fix options per device mng. I got all the resaults.         N  O  N  E!!!!!!!!!!

So, I too  BEG for ANY advice as to where to go from here.

Please & Thank You

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Certainly worked for me.

My DVD/CD drive went AWOL without warning. Tried everything I knew but was unable to get it up and running (showed erro code 32).

The found this article, and I was back in business withing a very few minutes.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 9:55 PM
  • I cant load any games on my computer i insert the disk and nothing happen

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:06 AM
  • OH THANK YOU!!! this totally worked for me!

i have vista and my error was code 10 couldn't start. once i followed your directions, it was perfect again

Thursday, September 18, 2008 10:29 PM
  •  I have been hacked by a hacker and he corrupted the device driver for the Tsst rw dvd driver for the DVD rom drive on my Dell XPS 420 desktop. and i cannot reinstall it using the disk or going online because there is no download for it and he corrupted system restore and recovery... can anyone help?

Thanks, 
                    Private Patterson
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:38 AM
  • SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B314060 .

Inno

It work
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 2:43 AM
  • thanks worked a treat been pulling my hair out over this one
    Friday, February 18, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Worked for me.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 12:55 AM