Trouble Trusting Users Identity In A Recoverable Signature RRS feed

• Question

• When applying multiple electronic signatures to .docx Word (2010) documents, some show as "recoverable" signatures. When this occurs clicking "Click here to trust this users identity" changes the signature from recoverable to valid. However, just began experiencing a problem in some documents when clicking the same link to trust the users identity no response occurs (the link does not work or do anything). Viewing the certificate show the certificate has usually expired.  Is there a way to fix this without having the signer re-sign the document?

Daniel Litteer

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

When we click the "Click here to trust this users identity" link, it will add the signatures to the trusted list. Since it doesn't work, we can try to use the MMC console and manually import the digital certificates into the trusted list. For more detailed steps, you can refer to this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb950259(v=bts.10).aspx

A similar issue discussed here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/digital-signature-is-invalid-cant-add-it-to-the/1488339e-0e7b-e011-9b4b-68b599b31bf5

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

• Marked as answer by DANGL62 Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:10 PM
    Friday, June 20, 2014 1:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance. 

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 23, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I'm getting there, having a little trouble finding where the self generated certificates are stored on the user's pc so I can export/import them. Do you know if there is a default file location where these are stored? As a workaround I'm going to try and export the certificate on my computer for that particular user and import it on the computer which is having problems recognizing it.

Thanks for the support.

Daniel Litteer

Monday, June 23, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Thank you for the update. You can check this path:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

BTW, does the workaround do the trick? Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Forum Support

• Marked as answer by DANGL62 Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:23 AM
  • That was it! For some reason this guy was looking at an older document which had an expired certificate, so wouldn't let him trust it. I was able to find the old certificate, import in the problem computer and it worked great.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dan

Daniel Litteer

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:15 PM