Do I Need ADMT? RRS feed

• Question

• We're moving from domain abc.local to xyz.local.  Don't care about permissions, passwords, computers.  Can I manually create my users in my new domain and then run the PrepareMove script to move my mailboxes to the new domain?  Mail is not changing btw.  Basically can I avoid using ADMT since I need minimal user info?
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 7:34 PM

Answers

• Gotcha - really don't want to run ADMT but I'm not sure what I'm losing with regard to Exchange if I don't.

Easy one to answer...Nothing :)

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by cmyweb Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:15 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can do it without ADMT. Read the article about moving mailboxes between Exchange organizations on my blog http://dizdarevic.ba/ddamirblog, or search for similar info on Technet.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Thank you for your reply!  From what I read it sounds like this is viable in an Exchange 2013 environment but not 2010 (which is what I'm running).
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:12 PM
  • See here for Exc 2010 : http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx 

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:16 PM
  • Hi,
    If user accounts has been created manually, then you need to mailenable these accounts before you run prepare-moverequest.

So in short:
    1. Create Accounts
    2. Enable-Mailuser
    3. Prepare-moverequest
    4. New-Moverequest

You do not need to migrate accounts with ADMT.

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:19 PM
  • I'm confused...this article is about running ADMT and then moving exchange.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:58 PM
  • I'm confused...this article is about running ADMT and then moving exchange.

It is totally up to you if you want to migrate the accounts with ADMT or not.
    If you don't care about permissions, sidhistory and migrating password then don't use ADMT. Just create mailenabled recipients in the new ORG and then run prepare-moverequest and new-moverequest to migrate the mailboxes.

Martina Miskovic

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:07 PM
  • Gotcha - really don't want to run ADMT but I'm not sure what I'm losing with regard to Exchange if I don't.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:13 PM

Easy one to answer...Nothing :)

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by cmyweb Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:19 PM
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Last question...Do I have to run the preparemove script if I plan on moving my mailboxes via the EMC?
    ~~~~~

Oops - your article addresses that topic.  Nevermind.  Thanks!

• Edited by cmyweb Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:55 PM resolved
    Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:43 PM