SCCM upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

My SCCM 2007 is up and running since 2 yrs now i need to upgrade it to SCCM 2012, so what i need to know

is if i upgrade it to 2012 what about the SCCM client which had been deployed to all the users. Will the SCCM client will

automatically upgraded to 2012 or should i have to manually uninstall it and again push the client from 2012.

Regards, Ishuv

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no inplace upgrade as you probably already know so you will have to create a new SCCM 2012 enviroment and migrate the clients to that new SCCM 2012 infrasctructure. For the client upgrade, it is handled automatically when you distribute the SCCM 2012 client to a computer with the SCCM 2007 client already installed, it will uninstall the old client automatically and install the SCCM 2012 client for you.

So you don't have to uninstall the client but yes, if you want to use client push to install the SCCM 2012 client you can do that. I use the Startup script created by Jason Sandys, http://blog.configmgrftw.com/?page_id=349, it works great! then you don't have to worry about client firewall settings e.tc.

Regards,
    Jörgen  

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:40 AM
  • The client will not automatically update, you have to initiate a client deployment method. How many clients do you have in the environment?

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:07 PM
  • Hi Kent/Jorgen

Thanks for the script. I will check it once and update you. Actually i do have more than 500 clients.

Regards, Ishuv

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:32 PM
  • Hello there,

I have installed a new SCCM 2012 and now i am just stucked. The problem is out of my 500 client, SCCM only pushes 21 clients. I have waited 2 weeks as it may take time to deploy sccm client but no luck. Can any help me regarding this problem.

Regards, Ishuv

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:43 AM
  • Hi,

I would use the startup script mentioned above to get the client installed. Here is a troubleshooting guide that is actually still valid, http://blogs.technet.com/b/sudheesn/archive/2010/05/31/troubleshooting-sccm-part-i-client-push-installation.aspx

Have you created boundaries and boundary Groups?

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:57 AM
  • Thanks for your response. Yes i have already created boundaries and boundary group. I will check the troubleshooting guide.

Regards, Ishuv

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:28 AM