Is 16 bit color the maximum available in VM's? RRS feed

• Question

• Is 16 bit color the maximum available in VM's?
    Monday, March 24, 2008 12:28 AM

Answers

• Hi sejong,

The maximum display settings that can be allocated to the child partition though VMBUS drive is 16 bit color. It makes sense for the child partition in Hyper-v box.

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:14 AM

All replies

• Yes 16Bit is the maximum for the emulated 'Microsoft VMBus Video Device' that is installed as part of the 'Integration Components' with 4Mb of VRam.

Cheers,

Stephen Edgar

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:42 AM
  • I'm curious.  Do you have a server scenario which requires > 16 bit color?

Thanks,
    Chris

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:10 AM
  • Hi sejong,

The maximum display settings that can be allocated to the child partition though VMBUS drive is 16 bit color. It makes sense for the child partition in Hyper-v box.

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:14 AM
  • Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Christopher Eck -- Although 16 bit color is sufficient for any use I plan, I wondered if, in the context of Microsoft's acquistion of Calista, if there was any UI or registry stting (that I had missed) that would allow > 16 bit color .
    Monday, March 24, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Not at this point in time.

Cheers,

Ben

Monday, March 24, 2008 6:11 PM
  • Ugh, just found out about this limit...We needed higher colour to be able to do screenshots of our app in various configurations (the gradients don't look as nice in 16 bit).  Have also hit a wall with trying to get theming enabled over RDP to w2k8 VM (again to ensure the screenshots look modern).  Back to 2003 for our screenshots!

Monday, April 21, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Hi, in the MSDN forum, Ben Armstrong answered a similar question of mine with:

There is no way to increase the VRAM - but you can get around the 16-bit color issue by "updating" the video driver to just use the generic VGA driver.  This will be a little slower than the current video driver - but should allow you to run your application.

Cheers,

Ben

- Nicholas
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:06 PM
  • The Hyper-V guest additions video driver limits VMs to 16-bit color.
    To enable 32-bit color at the console, take a look at this workaround (also pasted above by nsalzman_pf):
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/servervirtualization/thread/90964f00-4e18-4f72-93ca-e9598508048f/

If you need to automate the process of removing the VM Video Device installed the guest additions (which will enable 32-bit color at a maximum resolution of 1152x864), I wrote a script to do it, below.  Note: This will slow down video response time, but it will be 32-bit color.

You can download devcon.exe here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd10-272d-4cd2-896f-9ce67f3e0240/devcon.exe
    --

@echo off

echo.
    echo Removing VM Video Device 1 ...
    c:\tools\devcon.exe remove "VMBUS\{5620E0C7-8062-4DCE-AEB7-520C7EF76171}"

echo.
    echo Removing VM Video Device 2 ...
    c:\tools\devcon.exe remove "VMBUS\{da0a7802-e377-4aac-8e77-0558eb1073f8}"

echo.
    echo Removing VM Video Driver SYS File ...
    IF EXIST %windir%\system32\DRIVERS\VMBusVideoM.sys DEL /F /Q %windir%\system32\DRIVERS\VMBusVideoM.sys

echo.
    echo Adding RunOnce Registry Entry to Remove Video Driver DLL File ...
    IF EXIST %windir%\system32\VMBusVideoD.dll REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce /v Del_VM_Bus_Video /t REG_SZ /d "cmd.exe /c DEL /F /Q %windir%\system32\VMBusVideoD.dll" /f

echo.
    echo Removing VM Video Driver INF File ...

SET COUNT=0
    :CHECK
    IF EXIST %windir%\inf\oem%COUNT%.inf (
    findstr VMBusVideo %windir%\inf\oem%COUNT%.inf
    IF NOT ERRORLEVEL=1 (
    DEL /F /Q %windir%\inf\oem%COUNT%.inf
    echo Deleted oem%COUNT%.inf ...
    GOTO :END
    )
    )
    SET /A COUNT+=1
    IF %COUNT% LSS 20 GOTO :CHECK
    :END

echo.
    echo Restarting ...
    shutdown /r /f /t 0
    exit
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:00 AM
  • It is possible to get 32 bit color to work in a RDC session to a virtual machine.

You have to set RDP connection on the virtual machine and on the client to allow 32 bits.
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Open the virtual settings file
    <video>
        <user_selected>
         <depth type="integer">16</depth>
         <height type="integer">480</height>
         <width type="integer">640</width>
        </user_selected>
       </video>

change it to

<video>
        <user_selected>
         <depth type="integer">32</depth>
         <height type="integer">480</height>
         <width type="integer">640</width>
        </user_selected>
       </video>
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:58 PM
  • "You have to set RDP connection on the virtual machine and on the client to allow 32 bits."

How do you set this up? I have "32bit color" selected in the RDC properties, but I'm not sure what else is needed.

Thanks.
    Bill
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:27 PM
  • What if you are using Hyper-v to provide hosted desktops (VM's) for users? When they RDP into thier VM's, they want to see 32bit color...

Isn't this possible?

Thanks.
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 5:30 PM
  • What if you are using Hyper-v to provide hosted desktops (VM's) for users? When they RDP into thier VM's, they want to see 32bit color...

Isn't this possible?
    Yes.

When you first start a Remote Desktop Connection on the client, click the Options or Advanced button.  Select the Display tab and set it there.  If you save a connection, these settings will be remembered.

On the server you need to open the Terminal Services or RDS Host Configuration.  These have shortcuts in the Control Panel or Administrative Tools.  But the easiest way is Start\Run (or Win+R) and type tsconfig.msc.  Select the RDP-Tcp Connection, and open properties.  The color depth is set on the Client Settings tab.

There is also a Group Policy setting you can use.  It is "Limit maximum color depth" in Computer Configuration\(Policies\)Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Remote Session Environment.  Mine is set at 32.
    • Edited by John Paul Cook Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:05 AM add screen capture
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Hmm... I do not have Terminal Services or RDS host config panel applets. This 2008 R2 x64 server is just a host for some Hyper-V child partitions (WinXP Pro SP3) that users RDP into.

I've set the client side RDP connection to 32bit color, but on the remote virtual machine, the GP console only lists the following options:

Client Compatible
    8 bit
    15 bit
    16 bit
    24 bit

And the exact path where I found "Limit maximum color depth" is:

Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\

Is there some other GP setting I'm missing?

So at this point, I've been able to increase the color depth viewable over RDP to 24 bit, but 32bit is still eluding me.

Thanks.
    Bill
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 6:20 PM
  • I just tried tsconfig.msc on a new, fresh install of Server 2008 R2 RTM/eval.  It opened with no problems.

I right clicked the RDP-Tcp connection and selected properties.  I selected the "Client Settings" tab, and there was the Color Depth setting.  I have it set to 32-bit.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 11:16 PM
  • I see.

Yes, I was able to do as you describe and set the  Color Depth setting in the tsconfig.msc. But, I'm wondering what impact the terminal services config has to do with RDP connections to virtual machines running on a Hyper-V server...? This isn't a terminal server environment or scenario.

BTW - The setting had no impact in the available color depth displayed in the display properties of the virtual machine I connect to, it's still set to 24bit.

Monday, October 19, 2009 10:04 PM
  • ComputerFields, you have to use tsconfig.msc on the "terminal server" machine.  That is, the machine you are connecting to.

The machine you are connecting from is the client machine.  Here, you set it in "Remote Desktop Connection", using the Options button, and then the Display tab.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 12:03 AM
  • Yes, I understand what you are saying. But, I'm not connecting to a terminal server. Here are two scenarios that represent what I'm trying to explain:

Scenario #2:

Client machine: Windows Server 2008 R2
    Remote machine: Windows XP Pro SP3 Virtual Machine hosted via Hyper-V on the client machine.

Results: When I RDP into the WinXP system and bring up the display properties, the only option in the color depth selection is 24bit regardless of the 32bit color selected in the client RDP connection properties, or the tsconfig properties on the server (in this case the client).

Scenario #2:

Client machine: Windows Vista (another physical machine on my network)
    Remote machine: Windows XP Pro SP3 Virtual Machine hosted via Hyper-V on a Windows Server 2008 R2 box (same system as scenario #1).

Same results as scenario #1

I'm sorry for being dense, but I don't see how either scenario involves terminal services on the server box. In my mind, both scenarios are just workstation to workstation RDP connections.

Am I missing something?
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Yes, I understand what you are saying. But, I'm not connecting to a terminal server.

Never the less, you are connecting to terminal services on the XP or Vista box.  And tsconfig.msc is the mmc console for configuring terminal services (TermService).  On Vista and above there are two additional terminal service* services.  You can see them (it) in the services console or computer management.

If tsconfig.msc doesn't work, try tsadmin.msc.  There are also other ways to open it, such as Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Remote Desktop, or Control Panel\RemoteApp and Desktop Connections.
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Not only is 32-bit color possible, but you can even get full Aero, with peek. 

You'll have to take my word for it, but this is from a VM running Windows 7 RTM, in a Server 2008 R2 RC with Hyper-V:

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:35 PM
  • I believe your problem ComputerFields is that you're rdping into a Win XP machine.  The limit on the XP is 24-bits.  You can't get any higher via RDP.  If you want higher you have to go vista, 2008, or 7
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Borg Thursday, October 22, 2009 2:34 AM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:32 PM
  • You're correct. No one mentioned anything about this limit in WinXP till this point. I did mention it though in my original message.

Thanks.
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:11 PM
  • How?
    Lars Wilhelmsen | Development Manager | KrediNor, Norway | Connected Systems MVP | http://larswilhelmsen.com/
    Friday, January 21, 2011 2:18 PM
  • How?
    Lars Wilhelmsen | Development Manager | KrediNor, Norway | Connected Systems MVP | http://larswilhelmsen.com/

How what, Lars?

I.e. which post are you responding to?

Saturday, January 22, 2011 12:04 AM