Solution: How to get .flv files from the Temporary Internet Files in Vista Home Premium? RRS feed

• Question

•  

well i've been suffering from this problem while ago when started using vista home premium and IE7, and with a little tweak I DID GET THE ANSWER Big Smile Yaaaaay

Since so many guys out there have been looking around for the answer, the answer itself is very simple that many people think.. and here's how

1. go to IE>Tools>Internet options>Security

2. Select "Trusted Sites"

3. Click on "Sites"

4. First : uncheck "Require Server varification... blah blah blah"

5. Then just add "http:\\www.youtube.com"

6. once it's added, click OK and continue

7. Make sure you're showing hidden and protected files, if you don't know how just a tiny search will give you the answer

8. close any internet explorer window and go to youtube

9. after watching any video in youtube go to C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Temporary Internet Files and you'll find the youtube video you just watched

10. ofcourse you can add any site you trust like metacafe and other flash game sites for .swf files

I hope this was helpful, if anyone need more help contact me on dv8NoirFSq@gmail.com

thanks and goodluck

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Smile

First of all, it's not a good ideea to put your email in clear format on public sites. Spam bots will grab it and spam it.

Second, the Temp folder is located in the : C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Internet Explorer has write access to that folder, as it is marked with LOW mandatory integrity. In fact that's one of the few places IE can write to without user's consent. Adding a site to the Trusted Sites zones allows content coming from that site to be written anywhere the user has access to, and it is a security risk, disregarding the integrity mechanism. I wrote about them here if you're interested in finding out more.

I can see the movies from youtube in my temp folder without adding the site to the Trusted Zones. In fact, adding a site to the Trusted Zones should be done as an exception and only to sites that present a real security guarantee, not something as dynamic and unmoderated as Youtube. The .flv extension could be exploited any time (like .asf was), and giving it full access to your system is not a good ideea.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Smile

First of all, it's not a good ideea to put your email in clear format on public sites. Spam bots will grab it and spam it.

Second, the Temp folder is located in the : C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files. Internet Explorer has write access to that folder, as it is marked with LOW mandatory integrity. In fact that's one of the few places IE can write to without user's consent. Adding a site to the Trusted Sites zones allows content coming from that site to be written anywhere the user has access to, and it is a security risk, disregarding the integrity mechanism. I wrote about them here if you're interested in finding out more.

I can see the movies from youtube in my temp folder without adding the site to the Trusted Zones. In fact, adding a site to the Trusted Zones should be done as an exception and only to sites that present a real security guarantee, not something as dynamic and unmoderated as Youtube. The .flv extension could be exploited any time (like .asf was), and giving it full access to your system is not a good ideea.

Thursday, May 1, 2008 12:15 AM
  • I can see the movies from youtube in my temp folder without adding the site to the Trusted Zones.

How exactly? I'm really interested to know because I can't find them in my temp folder. Are you using Vista?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:26 AM