windows xp and dual monitors with presentation on overhead projector RRS feed

• Question

• I have an xp machine (pro) i have a dual monitor output card using two monitors, on the standard vga output i have a overhead LCD projector hooked up.  I am having trouble setting it up to display the same thing on one of my desktop monitors from my dual output card onto the projector.  I can drag things across and onto all 3 screens, but it makes this difficult when trying to do a presentation to my students.  any help would be tremendous

Thanks.

Capt. M. tolbert

Thursday, April 25, 2013 8:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What I always recommend in this senario is the following:

Select the monitor you wish to display on the projector

Disconnect that monitor from the port on the graphics card

Connect the projector in place of it

Connect the monitor to the loopback on the projector.

That is the simplest way out of it

In terms of looking at using the dual card and the single card,

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
    3. On the Settings tab, click Identify to display a large number on each of your monitors. This shows which monitor corresponds with each icon.
    4. Click the monitor icons and drag them to positions that represent how you want to move items from one monitor to another, and then click OK or Apply to view changes.

Assuming your Projector is Monitor 1 and your 2 flat screens are monitor 2 and 3 respectfully, drag and arrange them in order of 1,2,3 so your projector is first.

Click on the projector window and select clone my desktop (not extend my desktop)

Click on Monitor 3 and select extend my desktop .

This should work however depending on the other graphics card, i cannot say for sure if this will send the 2 monitors into clone mode also or if the GPU will be intelligent enough to remain as extended.

Let me know how it goes.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:04 AM

All replies

• Right click the Desktop and select Properties, then click on the Settings tab.  Does it show two monitors there? 

Down below the monitors, press the Advanced button.  There should be a tab for your video card driver program, click on that and see if you can find the display options for the two monitors.  The setting that I think you want to use is called Clone.

Monday, April 29, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hi,

What I always recommend in this senario is the following:

Select the monitor you wish to display on the projector

Disconnect that monitor from the port on the graphics card

Connect the projector in place of it

Connect the monitor to the loopback on the projector.

That is the simplest way out of it

In terms of looking at using the dual card and the single card,

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display.
    3. On the Settings tab, click Identify to display a large number on each of your monitors. This shows which monitor corresponds with each icon.
    4. Click the monitor icons and drag them to positions that represent how you want to move items from one monitor to another, and then click OK or Apply to view changes.

Assuming your Projector is Monitor 1 and your 2 flat screens are monitor 2 and 3 respectfully, drag and arrange them in order of 1,2,3 so your projector is first.

Click on the projector window and select clone my desktop (not extend my desktop)

Click on Monitor 3 and select extend my desktop .

This should work however depending on the other graphics card, i cannot say for sure if this will send the 2 monitors into clone mode also or if the GPU will be intelligent enough to remain as extended.

Let me know how it goes.

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Saturday, May 4, 2013 1:04 AM