none
Adding SBS 2011 Premium Add-On Server to SBS 2003

Question

• I'm about to start an SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 migration. I've got a new SBS2011 server as well as a second server with SBS 2011 Premium Add-On. I want to move a LoB app from the SBS 2003 server to the second server.

What's the proper procedure for that? Can I add the SBS2011 Premium Add-On server to the existing SBS 2003 and move the LoB app before I start the migration? Or, do I have to start the migration first, then add the SBS 2011 Premium Add-On to the SBS 2011 Std server, then move the Lob app?

Anyone been through this already?

-- Henri
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 8:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Henri:

You don't give enough info about the LOB.  In most cases, independant of any migration, as the migration does nothing for applications, you would backup the data, install the LOB on the new server, then restore the data.  If this is a MS SQL application/database, the same rules will apply.  Use the SQL tasks to backup the database, install the front end, if any on the stations or the new server, use the SQL tasks to import the data.

So, the order would be:

1.  Backup the entire SBS, backup and image if possible.

2.  Backup the LOB data in a format that is supported to import/restore to a new server, regardless of the fact that it used to be SBS 2003

3.  Do all the migration prep

4.  Do the migration, following the documentation very carefully, including the part about removing exchange 2003 at the end, and then dcpromo out the old SBS.  Get that all working and updated.

5. Install the second Server 2008 as a member server

6.  Installl SQL, if required for your app.

7.  Verify you have standard CALs for all the SBS users, + Premium CALs for the SQL users.

8.  Restore your data.

Done. 

I would contact the LOB vendor for additional info.

Larry Struckmeyer

Please post the resolution to your issue so that everyone can benefit

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:32 PM
  • Thans Larry. I'm not too concerned about the LoB app (it uses an IBM Universe DB) and I've already contacted the vendor about the move. My question was more about joining the second server.

My first thought was to join the second server to SBS 2003 and move the LoB app to it, so basically get it out of the way. Then start the migration of SBS 2003 to SBS 2011. But, I wasn't sure if I'd get myself into trouble doing it that way vs just following the steps as you've outlined them above.

My primary goal is to minimize the downtime for the LoB app. My secondary goal is to not screw up the migration. :)

-- Henri
    Friday, April 22, 2011 1:21 AM
  • Hi Henri,

Are you going to make the Add-on server a member server to the domain? if that is the case, you shouldn't worry if you want to add it to the domain before starting SBS migration guide.

If you are going to have to add the add-on server as a DC, then in case of failures during migration, that add-on server is also into trouble as it is part of replication partners, though it also is a valid process but just in case.

Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:01 PM
    Answerer
  • How did it go?
    Ketan Thakkar | Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:36 AM
    Answerer
  • There were a few hiccups, but it was OK for the most part. I ended up migrating SBS first and adding the member server after.
    -- Henri
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hey Henri?  Can you email me at susan-at-msmvps.com (change the -at- to @ ) so we can get to the bottom of that wireless DNS setting bug you posted about on Sean's blog?
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:36 AM