WTF is Templates Home??? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Word 2010 on 7 Ultimate x64 (non-networked) stand alone system

In every previous version of Word going back to Windows 95 we could create a document template, click File --> Save As -- Document Template and then any time we wanted to create a new document from that template, go to File --> New and there was the template.

But in Word 2010 if  you try that syntax you end up looking at a stupid screen that tells you pretty much nothing. It says "Available Templates" and "Home"

Well where is Home? How do I path my File Locations to save a new template such that it will show up there?

How does Microsoft benefit from doing this? Do the engineers in the suicide capital of the world (Redmond) get arousal from instilling pain in users? Or are they trying to wreck the company? Maybe they're moles from a competitor? WTF???

Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:18 AM

All replies

• The path for templates can be set in File > Options > Advanced > File Locations... (at the bottom) > User templates.

The default location is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

In File > New, click My Templates to see the templates in the User templates folder.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Saturday, May 12, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Hans:

Thanks for trying, but that does not work. When I do as you say, there's nothing there but "blank document".

The question is "How do I path my file locations to save a new template such that it will show up under the stupid Home area of the (new) stupid layout?"

Thanks.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I indicated the path in my previous reply. For easier access, you can add the Templates folder to your Favorites so it will be displayed in the left hand pane of the Save As dialog.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Saturday, May 12, 2012 2:40 PM
  • The path for templates can be set in File > Options > Advanced > File Locations... (at the bottom) > User templates.

The default location is C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates.

In File > New, click My Templates to see the templates in the User templates folder.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar

Still nothing Hans. I can see the file path. It's the default and it's the same as what you have indicated above.

When I go to File > New > My Templates I see nothing but Blank Document.

• Edited by Daisy Cao Monday, May 14, 2012 2:08 AM inproper words
    Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:16 PM
  • In the home section, click the icon called Blank document--that icon represents normal.dotm, which when clicked gives you a new document based on normal.dotm.

Pam

Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

As Hans suggested, please save your personal templates in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates (which is default template file location if you do not change it before in File > Options > Advanced > File Locations... (at the bottom) > User )templates.

Then, when you click File > New > My templates, you also see your personal templates:

I've tested this for you and the new saved template did show in my template window, if you still have problems, maybe you can show us your screen that Hans, Pam and I can be further help:)

Daisy Cao

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Daisy Cao Monday, May 14, 2012 2:13 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 2:12 AM
  • And in Word 2010, we can easily search for useful template on office.com site (show in availble template page), it may help us save time to design all kind of Word templates, just get the ready template and customize it as you want:)

Daisy Cao

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Hello,

As Hans suggested, please save your personal templates in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates (which is default template file location if you do not change it before in File > Options > Advanced > File Locations... (at the bottom) > User )templates.

Then, when you click File > New > My templates, you also see your personal templates:

I've tested this for you and the new saved template did show in my template window, if you still have problems, maybe you can show us your screen that Hans, Pam and I can be further help:)

Daisy Cao

I checked my File Locations and it's still at the default installation. Problem is, when I save something as a template, it defaults to the stupid Libraries Documents folder so a user is compelled to path through to the "burried deep inside Windows"  tempates folder.

I created a new teamplate and saved it in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates then closed Word, opened Word, clicked File > New > My Templates and sure enough, there it is.

This begs the questions:

1) How the heck is a user supposed to know to path that deep into this trash?

2) How does Microsoft or anyone benefit from this change from what worked well for decades?

3) What changes should we expect in future versions of Word? I've spent decades of my life becomming proficient with computers. But this is a waste of my life. I will not tolerate it. Let me guess, they're going to start putting all the fonts randomly upside down and backwards to save the seals and butterflies?

• Edited by David Wolters Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:44 PM If you can't be civil, we'll have you banned.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:51 AM