locked
2016 RDS Servers - Language Packs - GPO Language Changing RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello everyone,

    I'm having a difficult time getting the language to change via GPO on two new Server 2016 RDS farm members. I can see that the GPO is applying but the language is not. The same settings work perfectly in Server 2012 R2. I tried installing the language pack via "PC Settings" but get an error message as domain administrator, something about missing permissions for the "PC Settings" app. So I installed the language pack via the Control Panel and it's there. I can even switch the Admin's UI Language no problem.

    I pulled out the GPResults for my test user and I can see the GPO being applied but the language is still the default. Like I said, the exact same setup with Server 2012 works without issues. It's as if the language pack is not detected...

    Any ideas?


    Brian Baldock | MCTS | MS | MCP

    Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee.

    Test, then test again.

    • Moved by Amy Wang_ Monday, August 28, 2017 9:34 AM from Windows Server 2016 General forum
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 12:32 PM

Answers

  • Hey everyone, I was able to replicate the issue by setting up a new environment, changing the domain administrator name and password. Once I logged out and logged in I would get this error in language settings and some other parts of the Settings application.

    You have to Enable the following GPO either for the Domain, an OU or the local policy on the server:

    Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options / User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator Account - Enabled

    Once I enabled that and forced a gpupdate the error no longer appeared. Just figured that out today. Hope this helps.


    Brian Baldock | MCSA | MS | MCP Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee. Test, then test again

    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Friday, December 1, 2017 2:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Baldock Friday, December 1, 2017 3:08 AM
    Friday, December 1, 2017 2:15 AM

All replies

  • Hi Brian,

    What's the specific GP setting configured and which language is specified?

    Best Regards,

    Amy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    • Edited by Amy Wang_ Monday, August 28, 2017 9:36 AM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Hi Amy,

    Here's the GP settings as requested:

    User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Restricts the UI languages Windows should use for the selected user

    Language: French

    User Configuration/Preferences/Control Panel/Regional Options

    User Locale: French (Canada)

    The GPO applies to a group "Terminal French" and has Authenticated Users with read permission. I use the same setup for my Server 2012 R2 Terminal deployments without any issues.


    Brian Baldock | MCTS | MS | MCP

    Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee.

    Test, then test again.

    Monday, August 28, 2017 10:56 AM
  • Here is a screenshot of the error message I'm receiving while logged in as the domain administrator and accessing the Language section in "PC Settings":


    I'm not sure if the error is related to the language not being able to change. This error message opens whenever you click any button in the Languages option menu. It takes multiple (5+) clicks on OK for it to close. I looked in the event log and the error doesn't seem to be generating any related events. Is there a specific event log location for the Windows Settings App?


    Brian Baldock | MCTS | MS | MCP

    Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee.

    Test, then test again.


    Monday, August 28, 2017 8:35 PM
  • The GPO applies to a group "Terminal French" and has Authenticated Users with read permission.

    Hi,

    Please try to grant Apply permission to Authenticated Users group, then run GPupdate /force to test.

    Best Regards,

    Amy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

    Are there any updates at the moment?

    Best Regards,
    Amy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, September 12, 2017 6:16 AM
  • Hey everyone, I was able to replicate the issue by setting up a new environment, changing the domain administrator name and password. Once I logged out and logged in I would get this error in language settings and some other parts of the Settings application.

    You have to Enable the following GPO either for the Domain, an OU or the local policy on the server:

    Computer Configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Local Policies / Security Options / User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator Account - Enabled

    Once I enabled that and forced a gpupdate the error no longer appeared. Just figured that out today. Hope this helps.


    Brian Baldock | MCSA | MS | MCP Please note: This post is provided as is with no guarantee. Test, then test again

    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Friday, December 1, 2017 2:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Baldock Friday, December 1, 2017 3:08 AM
    Friday, December 1, 2017 2:15 AM