none
blocking internet for users group

Question

• Now that the Internet Explorer Maintenance policy is gone what do you recommend for a User based policy that blocks Internet but not Intranet traffic?

I suppose I could use GPP but then I 'd have to make 1 for 8 and 9 and one for 10 and that leave 11 open, kinda messy.

Thanks!

• Edited by jamicon Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:23 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015 8:54 PM

Answers

• that was my first thought, proxy.... of course that only applies to IE. What I meant was due to what is visible in the GPP policy, version 11 is not listed.

Just wanted to check and see if there was anything new and better out there, better policy method to achieve this.

GPP offers the ability to control settings for IE11.
    It depends on the version of Windows where you are running GPMC, that's what determines if you are shown IE11 in GPP.
    Regardless, if you have an older version of Windows which doesn't show IE11 in GPP, the IE10 GPP settings will apply to IE11 if you have applied the relevant Windows Updates to install the updated GPP CSE DLLs.

Also, note that setting the proxy settings via GP, will be applicable to other browsers and applications, if those other browsers and applications take their configurations from the Windows proxy settings. Many non-Microsoft browsers and applications do that. It depends on the browser/application.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by jamicon Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:03 PM
  • i played about with firefox adm templates to little success mozilla dont supply adm\admx and the ones on line are years old also you cant manipulate the registry for firefox before you try :). you could look at policypak but this costs money
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:02 PM

All replies

• Now that the Internet Explorer Maintenance policy is gone what do you recommend for a User based policy that blocks Internet but not Intranet traffic?

I suppose I could use GPP but then I 'd have to make 1 for 8 and 9 and one for 10 and that leave 11 open, kinda messy.

Thanks!

GPP is applicable to IE11 and all other IE versions, so not sure what you mean?

How would you have done this with IEM?
    "Blocking" internet access using what IEM method?
    Maybe you would set a fake proxy or something dodgy like that?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 9:52 PM
  • that was my first thought, proxy.... of course that only applies to IE. What I meant was due to what is visible in the GPP policy, version 11 is not listed.

Just wanted to check and see if there was anything new and better out there, better policy method to achieve this.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 4:33 PM
  • update

I used GPP to change proxy on IE to prevent Internet but bypass local

But users might use Chrome so I downloaded the chrome.admx and have it plugged in but not sure how to disable Chrome. (lots in there)

Anyone out there experienced with that admx?

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 5:13 PM

GPP offers the ability to control settings for IE11.
    It depends on the version of Windows where you are running GPMC, that's what determines if you are shown IE11 in GPP.
    Regardless, if you have an older version of Windows which doesn't show IE11 in GPP, the IE10 GPP settings will apply to IE11 if you have applied the relevant Windows Updates to install the updated GPP CSE DLLs.

Also, note that setting the proxy settings via GP, will be applicable to other browsers and applications, if those other browsers and applications take their configurations from the Windows proxy settings. Many non-Microsoft browsers and applications do that. It depends on the browser/application.

Don

Wednesday, April 29, 2015 9:03 PM
  • ok so I have it working for IE and Chrome, last one is Firefox, anyone work with this before; any admx for that or good advice?
     Would need to work on XP to Windows 8.1, I don't think applocker of software restrictions would be best so maybe proxy again?

hmm, just found this http://www.websense.com/content/support/library/web/hosted/getting_started/apply_policy.aspx

firefox adm, anyone try this?

• Edited by jamicon Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:58 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:43 PM
  • i played about with firefox adm templates to little success mozilla dont supply adm\admx and the ones on line are years old also you cant manipulate the registry for firefox before you try :). you could look at policypak but this costs money
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:02 PM
  • I ended up just using the restricted software policy, not the best I know.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:34 PM