none
Cannot Export BLANK field to excel RRS feed

  • Question

  • This is a repost of data from thread: "Project 2010 Export to Excel results in blank A266 . . . worksheet"

    In this scenario I do not get the A266..... blank worksheet.  Instead I get the correct worksheet name (Task_Table1) but the excel sheet is blank without any data:

    WHAT WORKS:

    1) Open a new Project File (No modifications to the global templete, actually just deleted it completely)

    2) Add 2 new tasks (Name and Duration only)

    3) Try to export to excel 2003 with Selected Data, new map (Tasks only w/o headers),  Fields selected is only Name 

    WHAT DOESN'T WORK

    same steps 1&2

    3) Try to export to excel 2003 with Selected Data, new map (Tasks only w/o headers), Fields selected is Name and Text1

     

    NOTE:  Text1 has nothing in it.  Never added anything there.

    If I add some test to the Text1 field for both tasks and try the second scenario up there.  It exports alright!!  If I then select the Text1 fields and hit delete, then try to export, it doesn't work again.  It appears that the bug has something to do with the fact that the field selected for export doesn't have anything in it.  I also attempted to on some tasks that have some text in the Text field and some without (deleted).  This works alright as well

    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

  • Hello Jeff,

    You're correct. I tested the scenario in Project 2010 (trial with latest updates). Export to Excel 97-2003 format does not work if the process includes a custom field with null value (empty field). It creates an empty Excel sheet named Task_Table1. We get no error message such as "the field you are exporting contains no value etc..." while exporting.

    I also verified the case by putting an empty Text1 field in between Name and Duration fields during export without headers.The same happens. Exporting with headers seems a workaround to the problem.

    I tested with Project 2007 as well and it works fine in all cases.

    Thanks for sharing.



    Regards. --Ismet
    • Edited by Ismet Kocaman Friday, September 30, 2011 1:28 PM formatting change...
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Friday, October 28, 2011 9:48 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:38 PM

All replies

  • New information.  I can export a blank field to a csv file and then open THAT with excel but not directly to an excel document.  Also it appears not to make a difference if I save as 2003 or latest version as well (xlsx).
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Looks like a minor bug if works for csv. Workaround is to just type a space into Text1 for a task.

    Rod Gill

    The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:41 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello Jeff,

    You're correct. I tested the scenario in Project 2010 (trial with latest updates). Export to Excel 97-2003 format does not work if the process includes a custom field with null value (empty field). It creates an empty Excel sheet named Task_Table1. We get no error message such as "the field you are exporting contains no value etc..." while exporting.

    I also verified the case by putting an empty Text1 field in between Name and Duration fields during export without headers.The same happens. Exporting with headers seems a workaround to the problem.

    I tested with Project 2007 as well and it works fine in all cases.

    Thanks for sharing.



    Regards. --Ismet
    • Edited by Ismet Kocaman Friday, September 30, 2011 1:28 PM formatting change...
    • Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Saturday, October 1, 2011 12:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike GlenModerator Friday, October 28, 2011 9:48 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:38 PM