none
DPM2012 tape usage and labels RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently installed DPM2012 on Server 2008r2 to manage long term backups. Unfortunately I'm new to tape backups however, most this have been pretty straight forward and logical. Two things I haven't been able to work out though;

- Is it possible to set the order free tapes from the library a protection group will use? At the moment the protection groups seem to just use any free tape. Preferably, I would like them to be used in order of barcode or slot.<o:p></o:p>

- Is it possible to use a date variables in the tape labels, for example Exchange-%Day%%Month%%Year% ?

What I am trying to get away from is having to keep a spread sheet of
    January 2013 - Tape004 and Tape025
    February 2013 - Tape030 and Tape002
    ect ect...

I have had a fairly thorough look through the documentation and the forums, my apologies if I've missed something.

Thank you,
    Blake

• Edited by B_Morling Monday, February 11, 2013 1:31 AM typo
    Monday, February 11, 2013 12:09 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally speaking, DPM will use tapes in the library in the following order when a new tape is required.

Tapes marked as free
    Tapes marked as free (contains data)
    Tapes marked as expired.

Tapes "should be" pulled from the highest slot number, so basically DPM looks for Free tape starting with slot-X, if none found look for Free (contains data) starting with slot-X, if none found look for expired tape starting with slot-X.  Where is the highest slot number containing media.

You cannot use variables in tape labels.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, February 11, 2013 6:53 PM