Exchange 2010 Site Resilient Deployment issue (Important) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Folks,

We are in process to design Exchagne 2010 SP1 site reslient configuration, currently we have Exchange 2007 single server, but now we want to go for Exchange 2010 DAG Highly Available implementation.

Question:

1) How many number of Mailbox server should we keep in Primary Datacenter and DR Datacenter?

2) Domain Naming space:

Our current domain name space is as follows:
    External: ABC.COM
                  MAIL.ABC.COM

Internal: Root Domain: ABC.NET
                  Child Domain: HO.ABC.NET
                                        MSG1.HO.ABC.NET

On my Primary Datacenter and DR datacenter we have the same shared name space, currently having single Exchange 2007 Server in primary datacenter hosting all roles.

*** In my current domain naming scenario, how should I Implement Exchange 2010 DR setup, if the primary datacenter goes down, then would I be able to make successful switchover after just changing the DNS record and point to the CAS in the DR datacenter for Outlook, OWA and EAS?

Do I need to have CAS Array in the DR datacenter or its a optional case, I can also run a single CAS in DR as well for hosting database swtichover or complete datacenter swtichover?

What is the recommended design of number of DAG nodes in site resilient configuration, where also need to minmize the number of servers of DAG nodes.

Zahir

Zahir Hussain Shah Infrastructure Practice Consultant My blog: http://zahirshahblog.com
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 4:35 PM

Answers

• Q: “In my current domain naming scenario, how should I Implement Exchange 2010 DR setup”

You can choose one from the designs below:

Database Availability Group Design Examples

Q: “if the primary datacenter goes down, then would I be able to make successful switchover after just changing the DNS record and point to the CAS in the DR datacenter for Outlook, OWA and EAS?”

CAS DNS record is among several records that need to be changed

Datacenter Switchovers

Q: “Do I need to have CAS Array in the DR datacenter or its a optional case”

Optional

Q: “I can also run a single CAS in DR as well for hosting database swtichover or complete datacenter swtichover?”

If you mean to install CAS role on a DAG member, yes, you can

Q: “What is the recommended design of number of DAG nodes in site resilient configuration, where also need to minmize the number of servers of DAG nodes”

Please refer to the article below to determine the numbers that suits your environment

New HA Design Guidance Articles

James Luo
    TechNet Subscriber Support (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/ms788697.aspx)
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 8:20 AM