Solution: Installing the abandoned Microsoft JVM under Windows 7 RRS feed

• General discussion

• For getting an older version of MATLAB (6.5 R13) to work under Windows 7, I needed to install the abandoned Microsoft Java VM. Even if MS states that this is not compatible, I got it to work under the 64-bit edition of Win7:

1) Get the last version of the Microsoft JVM (Build 3810) from some website, it's usually called "msjavx86.exe".
       A still working official link is (despite the different filename)
       http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/MSJavWU_8073687b82d41db93f4c2a04af2b34d.exe
    2) Use your favourite zip tool like 7-Zip to extract the "msjavx86.exe" file to some directory.
    3) Open a command prompt in that directory and type: javatrig /l
    4) A dialog will appear indicating that the Java VM is not compatible with Windows 7. Ignore it and just click on "Run program".

Comments are welcome! :-)

Monday, April 15, 2013 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for sharing. We really appreciate your time and efforts. Hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Regards,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 2:59 AM
  • Followed all the steps, but unfortunately, ended with "This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM". I'm on Windows 7 64 Ultimate.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 5:10 AM
  • Yes, I too need to find & install msjavx86.exe - ideally on 64-bit Windows 7 but other options (e.g. WinXP) are available if necessary.

We have a simple old command-line test client provided by partner companyyears ago but unfortunately it will not run now; the error is:

"Unable to start the application--the Java Virtual Machine cannot be loaded.

Class not registered"

Although it would have been clearer if it stated instead that "Microsoft  Java Virtual Machine cannot be loaded".

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 7:30 AM
  • FYI Happily I did manage to find a working copy of msjavax86.exe (which is a self-extractinginstaller). I have stored it in a safe place!  I didn't follow the steps in the original post, instead I just double-clicked on the installer to run it.

Yes it does install on 64-bit Win7 (as well as XP), if youclick past the compatibility warning and wait for it to finish (it looks like it stalled for quite some time but it does finally complete with a message telling you to reboot windows).

The version I have is: 5.00.3805.0  (so slightly older build that the original poster, there's was build 3810 rather than 3805).

Dated: 20/03/2007 3:50pm

Size: 5.06 MB

Description: Microsoft VM

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:43 PM