none
Topology Recommendations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have already asked a few questions on Fast Search setup trying to get trainer wheels working.

I realise there is a bigger issue i should ask, topology.

In out situation we have VMware based blade servers which are fairly grunty hosting our servers.
    I have a 2008 R2 vm for tfs 2010 + SQL 2008 r2
    Then another vm 2008 R2 with sp 2010 + sql 2008 R2

We have about 100 TFS users and the sharepoint load will be about 200 users, some using the published data from TFS.
    With perhaps 50 more if we let admin use SP2010 for general project, document areas.
    Access is internal and there are unlikely to be peaks in use and the pages will not get hammered all the time.

I want to use Fast Search to allow for the thumbnail preview of documenta and crawl though our largish historical network files (with lots of old project info in them).

Currently i have added Fast Serach to the existing SP 2010 vm. OK with these volumes ?

>> Or should i place fast search of its own server using the SP2010 SQL server instance ?
    or create another SQL server instance ?

Thanks

Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Greg,

The more cpu you give it, the more items it can process in parallel while indexing, and it also impacts refiners somewhat. You should in general not have more than one document processor per cpu for the server. Default the installation is deployed with 4. Also assigning 2gb per cpu is recommended.

As for SQL you can use the SQL server you already have, as the FAST admin database will not grow very large. It mainly keeps data on crawled and managed properties, no indexed data, as this is stored in a proprietary binary index/database on your file system.

And there are third party vendors for previews out there, Surfray, BA-Insight and Kodak to name three.

Other needs for FAST would be: deep refiners (exact counts), better linguistics on search (lemmatization vs. stemming), better language detection, support indexing of more files out of the box (with the advanced filter pack turned on). You might want to read "Three main reasons why you should upgrade to FAST for SharePoint".

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:04 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Greg,

If thumbnails is your only usage scenario for FS4SP, then you can look into using http://thumbextsp.codeplex.com/ which gives you thumbnails and preview with the regular SharePoint search (as the feature is actually dependant on OWA and not FS4SP).

Also remember that thumbs/ppt preview only work for content stored in SharePoint, not on other sources like a file server.

If this is a production environment, then it's not supported to have FS4SP on the same machine as SP2010. It has to reside on a separate machine in order to be a supported installation. Hosting it with SP2010 is only for development/testing scenarios.

Ideally FAST get's a server/VM of its own with no other software installed.

You have said something about your usage with the number of users, but how many items will you index? How much disk is available for FAST, how much ram and cpu?

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Thursday, October 13, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Thanks Mikael, i like your work.

- By in large this is mainly a dev / test environment with some company (not outside the company) facing parts, e.g. "production" (always found this a hard term to really define)

- FS4SP not going previews for our network files, disappointing so may need to decide if i really need the other features (taxonomy etc)

- License wise we have plenty under MSDN and our partner allocation

- This VM area is 2T bytes and only 500G currently used, so memory and disk wise OK, perhaps cpu might start to get thinso more the question, how much do i need ?

Sounds like having a separate server the go, but what about the SQL question, does it need its own instance ?

Any product out there to provide thumbnails / preview of network files ?
    (my guess as generally only 10 or so docs are shown at a time in a search, that the system can afford to render these on display, just not sure where how much space would be needed if these where done at crawl time which would make for faster search display)

Thanks, greg

Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:41 PM
  • Hi Greg,

The more cpu you give it, the more items it can process in parallel while indexing, and it also impacts refiners somewhat. You should in general not have more than one document processor per cpu for the server. Default the installation is deployed with 4. Also assigning 2gb per cpu is recommended.

As for SQL you can use the SQL server you already have, as the FAST admin database will not grow very large. It mainly keeps data on crawled and managed properties, no indexed data, as this is stored in a proprietary binary index/database on your file system.

And there are third party vendors for previews out there, Surfray, BA-Insight and Kodak to name three.

Other needs for FAST would be: deep refiners (exact counts), better linguistics on search (lemmatization vs. stemming), better language detection, support indexing of more files out of the box (with the advanced filter pack turned on). You might want to read "Three main reasons why you should upgrade to FAST for SharePoint".

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

• Marked as answer by Greg B Roberts Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:04 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:28 PM