none
Microsoft Authentication App & Apple iCloud Backup - Malware Deletion/Reset RRS feed

• Question

• Hey

It seems to be a common failure on part of Microsoft given the amount of forums I've been on where the same problem exists and is a common issue, that being where a Customer has placed complete faith in Microsoft by using its products for Security. and where the Customer has either had the phone hacked by malware or reset it, then to realise when iCloud backup is restored that the Authenticator App is completely reset and unable to gain access to the Hotmail Account.

Micrososft seem to think the lack of support provided in this circumstances is ok, they are happy to advertise their services but I think its a significant misrepresentation by not telling the customer clearly that if the phone is reset the icloud backu will NOT restore the App. Ths is very important because I've lost all access to emails in my hotmail, these are nearly 12 years of emails I've lost, my entire life, bills, utilities, work, social, legal emails.

I have phoned America, UK and generic microsoft support service centres and they cannot help, I even have a full Outlook offline account on my computers which has all emails left over and have all credit cards, xbox one accounts, purchases, connected apps and mobile phone still. But I have lost the password due to malware and the phone had to be reset for security and I DID NOT know and it NEVER said that the Micosoft App will reset, all my other apps, includingonline banking retained passwords except useless Microsoft App.

I have tried fr 4 days to gain access, now my account is blocked and no one is able to help me, I've tried Support, but the staff are completely stupid, they send you COPY PASTE emails with generic replies which DO NOT work. 

Suffice to say once I have access Im going to migrate from Microsoft to a paid service, because this is awful and rubbish excuse as to why they can provide such limited support in circumstances where they should be assisting extensively to help gan immediate access to secure he account and services without much delay.

Anyone on here with knowledge how to resolve this or does microsoft just tell everyone to setup a new account?

ANGRY!

Sunday, January 7, 2018 11:34 PM

All replies

• Hi KantiMani,

sorry for all the inconvenience caused for you.
    For security purposes, we don't restore accounts from app backups. After you restore the app, delete your accounts and add them again.

More information about Microsoft authenticator app, please refer to this link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/end-user/microsoft-authenticator-app-faq

In your scenario, maybe you should contact Hotmail account support to disable MFA settings, then use your password to login Hotmail.

Best regards,
    Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:46 AM