none
How do you Unregister a DPM 2012 R2 Server from the Azure Backup Vault? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to unregister my DPM 2012 R2 server from the Azure online backup service. I found reference in the TechNet docs to a Powershell command Start-DPMCloudUnRegistration, however, on entering this command into DPM's powershell, I find the command does not exist.

There does not appear to be anything in DPM's management console to unregister the server.

How can the DPM server be unregistered?

Escoll.

Tuesday, February 3, 2015 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Have a look at the following topic: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj593190.aspx

To unregister your server with Azure Backup

1. Sign in to the Azure Management Portal.

2. Click Recovery Services.

3. In Recovery Services, click the name of the backup vault.

4. From the Quick Start page for the vault, click Servers.

5. Select the server, click Delete, and then click Yes at the confirmation prompt.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I carried that out in the Azure Management Portal, however, DPM started to produce the following error messages in its DPM Alerts Log:

EventId: 33411, Source: DPM-EM, General: "DPM server cannot connect to AzureBackup. (ID: 33411) The DPM server registration status could not be verified with Windows Azure Backup. (ID: 100062)".

DPM still thinks its registered. How do we tell DPM its no longer registered in Azure?

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Uninstall the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent from Control Panel - Programs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for having a look at this.

Unfortunately uninstalling the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent didn't do the trick, the DPM server still thinks it ought to be able to connect to the Azure Backup and continues to generate event logs complaining that it can't.

Escoll

Friday, February 6, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Are you certain you stopped all protection for online protection in all protection groups ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 6, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Though I registered this server with the backup vault, I never actually got round to protecting anything from this DPM server (decided to try protecting some SQL databases from the secondary DPM server).

However, I've put the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent back on the primary DPM server and registered it into the Backup Vault. I then checked all the protection groups to make sure that online protection was turned off.

Closed the DPM console, uninstalled the Microsoft Azure Recovery Services Agent.

Deleted the DPM server from the Backup Vault. Restarted the DPM server.

So far, so good, after a couple of hours, no 33411 event logged. I'll give it 24hrs before I celebrate though! :-)

Escoll

Monday, February 9, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Thanks - For clarity below is the recommended method of unregistering DPM from Azure online backups.

To unregister a DPM server:

1.Remove cloud protection from cloud protected datasources on DPM server (using DPM console). This will remove online backup jobs.
    2.Delete DPM server using portal.

Sign in to the Azure Management Portal.

i.   Click Recovery Services.
    ii.  Under Recovery Services, click the name of the backup vault.
    iii. From the Quick Start page for the vault, click Servers.
    iv.  Select the server, click Delete, and then click Yes at the confirmation prompt

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 4:35 PM
  • Hi,

I am having a similar issue unregistering a server from a Recovery Services vault.  When I click on the vault name, I don't see a Servers item anywhere in the Quick Start, Dashboard or elsewhere.

My Dashboard shows one server registered to cloud, but I see no way of getting to it.  The Registered Items shows nothing registered when I go into it.

What am I missing?

-Marc

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 4:19 PM
  • Hi,

The portal has changed since the earlier instructions were provided.

New instructions:

To unregister a DPM server:

1.Remove cloud protection from cloud protected datasources on DPM server (using DPM console). This will remove online backup jobs.
    2.Delete DPM server using portal.

Sign in to the Azure Management Portal.

i.   Click Recovery Services.
    ii.  Under Recovery Services, click the name of the backup vault.
    iii. Click on the Registered Items - In the TYPE box - select Windows Servers.  Click on the checkmark to scan.
    iv.  From the list of registered server, Select the server to remove and then click Delete, click Yes at the confirmation prompt.

• Proposed as answer by Marc Holland Wednesday, September 9, 2015 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:46 PM