Force Aero Over RDP RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am running Vista Ultimate connecting to a computer running Vista Ultimate. When I first connect Remote Desktop, the remote computer shows the Vista Basic theme. Sometimes (not always) after about 30 seconds to a minute, the screen will go black, and the remote computer becomes unresponsive. I used to use XP to connect to this remote computer and it never did this. When I first switched to Vista locally and started encountering this blackout it was very frustrating. I would kill the connection and reconnect and all would be well, except that *sometimes* I'd get the black screen again at the 30 seconds to 1 minute interval. One time I let it go (walked away from the computer and did something else) and when I came back, lo and behold, the remote computer was now showing the Aero theme. I didn't know it could, so I was pleasantly surprised, and now I know what's causing the screen to go black.

The problem here is I can't control it. Sometimes it will switch over to Aero, and sometimes it won't. I don't want to give it the choice. When it is displaying in Aero the performance is fine. There is no reason for Windows to think it's smarter than me and make the decision to *not* show Aero.

What can I do to *force* the remote computer to *always* display Aero?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 7:26 PM