Hierarchy's name is pre-faced by Dimension name in ProClarity RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I made a new Hierarchy "Academic  Year"(with two spaces) in Dimension "Term" because my users wanted to slice data by Academic Year and see the label as "Academic Year".

When I access this data in proclarity, the label name is prefaced by "Term."  So instead of reading just "Academic  Year" it reads "Term Academic  Year."

I asked this question with iStrategy consultant, and his answer was:
    "Unfortunately, this is an artifact of ProClarity and there is nothing you can do about it.  In certain situations, ProClarity prefaces with hierarchy name with the dimension name in cases where "it thinks" there may be confusion.  I'm not 100% sure what all those cases are.  If you use some other tool to access the cube, Excel or Reporting Services, it won't do that."

I think I know this is happening. The measure name is 'Academic Year'. I wanted to name hierarchy the same thing, but you can't do that in Analysis Services. That's why I named is at 'Academic Year' (with two spaces in the middle). This is where I think the logic kicked in and prefaced the name. Yesterday, I named it as 'Academic_Year', but it's still doing the same thing.

Does anyone know what logic does proclarity uses?  Please help.

I have snapshots of cube and ProClarity, but I can't attach them anywhere.  I can send them to your email.

Ravi.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• This seems to ring a bell, but as a quick test, will you change the name to something that doesn't start with "Academic"?  That is, will you name is something like "Scholastic Year" and see if you see the same behavior?
    Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:18 PM