WSUS Console constantly crashing server 2012 WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• The disk space on the sql data drive had filled up so we increased the dis space and since then we are unable to do anything in the console as it keeps constantly popping up to reset server node. Prior to this nothing else has changed and has worked ok without any issues.

I open the console and go to synchronisations and it crashes, I go to search for an update and it crashes, I try to view any updates and it crashes.

Can see mulitple ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0 event ID 1309 in event log.

Mulitple The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. event id 7053

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.  event id 7032

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.

Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL. event id 7042

SQL is on same server using pipe

The Server Synchronization Web Service is not working. event id 12032

I try searching for the errors and I am just going around in circles now and no nearer to resolving the issue.

we have done the usualy service restarts and issreset from command and nothign works. memory is constantly around 90% and above, seems to be w3wp.exe and sql consuming the memory.

Has anyone else encounted this issue and resolved it? Previous emplyments we always stayed away from wsus as it is so poor and use a 3rd party software for our patching but I do not have luxury of this at my current placement.

• Edited by ID-ten-T Friday, January 15, 2016 1:02 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 12:56 PM

Answers

• I noticed that w3wp.exe was showing up a couple of times with different PID in resource mon and seen one of them related to sql. I ended up setting memory limit of a 1 GB for sql and restarted the services which seems to have done the trick. I can now search and approve updates. The console still pops up with error: database error but I still can search and approve updates fine.

Also noticed that the SUSDB was in single user mode which was causing the replication to fail to the replica servers and failing syncing

• Edited by ID-ten-T Friday, January 15, 2016 3:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, January 18, 2016 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, February 8, 2016 1:23 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 2:15 PM

All replies

• I noticed that w3wp.exe was showing up a couple of times with different PID in resource mon and seen one of them related to sql. I ended up setting memory limit of a 1 GB for sql and restarted the services which seems to have done the trick. I can now search and approve updates. The console still pops up with error: database error but I still can search and approve updates fine.

Also noticed that the SUSDB was in single user mode which was causing the replication to fail to the replica servers and failing syncing

• Edited by ID-ten-T Friday, January 15, 2016 3:39 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, January 18, 2016 4:30 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Monday, February 8, 2016 1:23 PM
    Friday, January 15, 2016 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved and thanks for the sharing.

>>Has anyone else encounted this issue and resolved it?

I've seen a lot of cases that unwell-maintained WSUS server may cause this issue.

Please run server clean up wizard regularly to keep server well maintained.

Also, use the following script to re-index the SUSDB:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 4:35 PM