Validate App-V 4.5 CU1 MSI silent install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can someone validate the following 4.5 CU1 MSI silent install please. For some reason the AutoLoad*** switches don't seem to be working. (I want all laptops to AutoLoad ALL apps at Logon AND Refresh)...

msiexec /i "setup.msi" MINFREESPACEMB="5120" REQUIREAUTHORIZATIONIFCACHED="FALSE" SWIPUBSVRDISPLAY="%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%" SWIPUBSVRTYPE="RTSP" SWIPUBSVRHOST="%SFT_SOFTGRIDSERVER%" SWIPUBSVRPORT="554" AUTOLOADTRIGGERS="5" AUTOLOADTARGET="ALL" SWIUSERDATA="V:\" /q /l*v C:\Temp\App-V_Client_Install.log

Thanks
    • Edited by RLJF Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:16 PM Typo
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:05 PM

Answers

• I haven't heard about AUTOLOADTRIGGERS property either, so I'd suggest you use ones documented in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843737.aspx:

... AUTOLOADTARGET=ALL AUTOLOADONLAUNCH=1 AUTOLOADONLOGIN=1 AUTOLOADONREFRESH=1 ...

Also, one thing that may or may not make a difference is double-quotes around property value. I say this because I have vague memory of witnessing numeric value not being interpreted if it was enclosed with double-quotes..

br,
    Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 2, 2009 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:06 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The documentation says the following;

AUTOLOADONLOGIN

AUTOLOADONLAUNCH

AUTOLOADONREFRESH

[0|1]

The AutoLoad triggers that define the events that initiate auto-loading of applications. AutoLoad implicitly uses background streaming to enable the application to be fully loaded into cache.

The primary feature block will be loaded as quickly as possible. Remaining feature blocks will be loaded in the background to enable foreground operations, such as user interaction with applications, to take priority and provide optimal performance.

noteNote
    The AUTOLOADTARGET parameter determines which applications are auto-loaded. By default, packages that have been used are auto-loaded unless AUTOLOADTARGET is set.

Each parameter affects loading behavior as follows:

• AUTOLOADONLOGIN—Loading starts when the user logs in.
    • AUTOLOADONLAUNCH—Loading starts when the user starts an application.
    • AUTOLOADONREFRESH—Loading starts when a publishing refresh occurs.

The three values can be combined. In the following example, AutoLoad triggers are enabled both at user login and when publishing refresh occurs:

AUTOLOADONLOGIN AUTOLOADONREFRESH

noteNote
    If the client is configured with these values at first install, Autoload will not be triggered until the next time the user logs off and logs back on.

AUTOLOADTARGET

NONE

ALL

PREVUSED

Indicates what will be auto-loaded when any given AutoLoad triggers occur.

Possible values:

• NONE—No auto-loading, regardless of what triggers might be set.
    • ALL—If any AutoLoad trigger is enabled, all packages are automatically loaded, whether or not they have ever been launched.

noteNote
      This setting is configured for individual packages by using the SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE and CONFIGURE PACKAGE commands. For more information about these commands, see SFTMIME Command Reference.

• PREVUSED—If any AutoLoad trigger is enabled, load only the packages where at least one application in the package has been previously used (that is, launched or precached).

It seems you specified the values incorrectly and I can't really understnad where you got them from.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RLJF Thursday, October 29, 2009 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Hi Znack,

See http://blogs.technet.com/softgrid/ and the section Setting Autoload Options with the Client MSI Installer

Section from the site:

------------------------------------------------------------------
    You can set these options non-interactively when leveraging the command line options of the App-V Client MSI installer (msiexec.exe /i "setup.msi.") For setting the Autoload triggers (when to autoload,) you can use the AUTOLOADTRIGGERS=[0|1|2|4|5] parameter to configure when to autoload during setup.

For autoload targets (which applications are affected) you can use the AUTOLOADONLAUNCH (Default=1), AUTOLOADONLOGIN (Default=1), AUTOLOADONREFRESH (Default=0) and AUTOLOADTARGET.

Each parameter affects loading behavior as follows:

• AUTOLOADONLOGIN—Loading starts when the user logs in.
    • AUTOLOADONLAUNCH—Loading starts when the user starts an application.
    • AUTOLOADONREFRESH—Loading starts when a publishing refresh occurs.

For AUTOLOAD TARGET, This parameter indicates what will be autoloaded when any given AutoLoadTrigger occurs. The values are as follows:

• None – No autoloading regardless of what triggers were set
    • All – If a trigger is enabled all applications that are on the client will be loaded
    • Previously Used – If a trigger is enable only applications that have been previously launched will be autoloaded

------------------------------------------------------------------
    So looking at both we have..?

* AUTOLOADTRIGGERS=[0|1|2|4|5]
    * AUTOLOADONLAUNCH=[0/1] (Default=1)
    * AUTOLOADONLOGIN=[0/1] (Default=1)
    * AUTOLOADONREFRESH=[0/1] (Default=0)
    * AUTOLOADTARGET=[NONE/ALL/PREVUSED] (Default=PREVUSED)

Confused.com!

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 5:54 PM
  • RLJF,

did you consider using GPOs to configure the App-V client instead of using MSI command line switches?

If that would be an option, you can pre-configure the GPO using Microsoft's ADM Template (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=67CDF9D2-7E8E-4D76-A552-FD82DBBFF9BC).

Additionaly, you may use Login Consultant's ADM addition (http://www.loginconsultants.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=33&Itemid=149, requires registration)

Then, (guess ing from your command line) I only would define the "FreeMinSpace" switch. All other options can be configured uisng the ADMs.

Also, "FreeMinSpace" could be configured via a policy but I faced a situation where the client's cahce size was not propperly adjusted after configuration changes.

Falko
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:21 PM
  • I haven't heard about AUTOLOADTRIGGERS property either, so I'd suggest you use ones documented in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc843737.aspx:

... AUTOLOADTARGET=ALL AUTOLOADONLAUNCH=1 AUTOLOADONLOGIN=1 AUTOLOADONREFRESH=1 ...

Also, one thing that may or may not make a difference is double-quotes around property value. I say this because I have vague memory of witnessing numeric value not being interpreted if it was enclosed with double-quotes..

br,
    Kalle
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 2, 2009 7:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:06 PM
    Monday, November 2, 2009 9:35 AM