none
Member management not working when Group edit opens in secondary window RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very strange issue I have started to troubleshoot and would like some assistance if possible.

I have a "typical" RCDC where I have a tab showing Groups that a user is a member of.

It looks similar to this one:

<my:Control my:Name="Groups" my:TypeName="UocListView" my:Caption="Groups" my:ExpandArea="false" my:RightsLevel="{Binding Source=rights, Path=DisplayName}">
        <my:Buttons>
         <my:Button my:Name="Edit" my:Caption="Edit" my:ImageUrl="/_layouts/images/MSILM2/details.png" my:ClickBehavior="ModalDialog" my:EnableMode="OnlyOne" my:RedirectUrl="../customized/EditCustomizedObject.aspx" />
        </my:Buttons>
        <my:Properties>
         <my:Property my:Name="ColumnsToDisplay" my:Value="DisplayName,Description" />
         <my:Property my:Name="ResultObjectType" my:Value ="Group" />
         <my:Property my:Name="ShowSearchControl" my:Value="false" />
         <my:Property my:Name="ShowActionBar" my:Value="true" />
         <my:Property my:Name="ShowTitleBar" my:Value="false" />
         <my:Property my:Name="ShowPreview" my:Value="false" />
         <my:Property my:Name="EnableSelection" my:Value="true" />
         <my:Property my:Name="EmptyResultText" my:Value="This Campus have no groups." />
         <my:Property my:Name="ListFilter" my:Value="/Group[ecaParentCampus='%ObjectID%']" />
        </my:Properties>
       </my:Control>

I select a group in the list and click my nice litte Edit button. I can now successfully modify owners, or other attributes but NOT explicit member. The ui accepts all changes and even gives me the Submit in the end and looks like it is doing something. BUT nothing happens and the request history shows no request being made.

Really funny is that if I open the Advanced View in the Group edit window I can succesfully manage and submit the manually managed membership.

Does anyone have a clue what's in the "default" Group.Edit RCDC that would make explicit membership management fail whe opened in a secondary window like this?

The Group.Edit RCDC works perfectly normal if I open it directly.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:35 PM

Answers

• I was able to solve this!

Tomasz got me onto the right track... It is codehandlers that does not kick-in as expected.

The solution is to change the "button" to call my:RedirectUrl="../Groups/EditGroup.aspx" instead of the generic my:RedirectUrl="../customized/EditCustomizedObject.aspx" i was using.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:16 PM

All replies

• There is code behind group edit tab which is handling some actions for group - it is not just a simple RCDC, it has code handlers. This code is also taking changes for group membership and adding it to delta attributes (notice that when you are modifying Explicit member through RCDC it goes to other attributes).

Never looked into it but my bet is that these handlers are not loaded properly here or are not worked and thus this behavior you are observing. 

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 6:46 PM
  • Yes, Tomasz, I think you are correct. But it's really annoying to see that add member "works"

and when hitting ok you get a perfectly normal Submit page

I hit Submit... seems to work, no errors, but no action what so ever in the background... just "swallows" the request.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:38 PM
  • I was able to solve this!

Tomasz got me onto the right track... It is codehandlers that does not kick-in as expected.

The solution is to change the "button" to call my:RedirectUrl="../Groups/EditGroup.aspx" instead of the generic my:RedirectUrl="../customized/EditCustomizedObject.aspx" i was using.

Thursday, September 18, 2014 8:16 PM