none
Shared Hours Task RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is it possible to have a task with a set amount of hours, that any resource can use.

So for example, if I have a pool of resource's, and on a given day, any of them can work on the task.

So if I had 40 hours allocated to the task, these hours could be used by any of the assigned resources until the hours are used?

One resource may use 20, another 5 and so on.

I also wouldn't want any of these "bucket" hours to show as committed for any of the resources,  as they float between projects.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You could use the team assignment feature. As per now, there is a limitation as only 1 resource of the team can take the assignment, then it is not available anymore for the rest of the team. Meaning that in your example, the 40 hours have to be taken by the unique same resource of the team. MS is currently working on this limitation, allowing 1:n assignment for the team assignments:

https://microsoftproject.uservoice.com/forums/218133-microsoft-project/suggestions/11573715-allow-multiple-team-resources-to-apply-for-a-task

For your other concern, you could set to "proposed" the team booking type in MS Project as long as it hasn't been taken by one of the team members, and switch it to committed after. 

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Friday, October 21, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Thanks Guillaume,

That feature is pretty much what I'm after, hopefully it will allow me to:

- Assign 40 hours to a task

- Assign a Team to the task

- Resources can "self assign" themselves to the task when they needs to.

- Resources can use up as many of the baseline hours as they need to until all the baseline hours are used.

- The hours in the task do not show against the resources schedule, as we do not necessarily know when they will be used.....sort of like an "Admin" Task

This would be awesome.

Cheers

Jeff

Saturday, October 22, 2016 10:22 AM
  • So I found an option

"Team Tasks and the Team Assignment Pool" under "Task settings and Display"

This allow me to self assign myself to a task assigned to a team pool, and keep the team assignment  also.

However, when I self assign, it adds the hours to the existing work. So for example, if the task has 40 hours assigned to the team resource, when I self assign myself 8 hours, it then becomes 48 hours.

Should not the team assignment reduce by 8 hours?

Thnx

Jeff

Monday, October 24, 2016 5:13 AM