none
HDD Disk Numbers differ and change from BIOS Port numbers (2)

Question

• This was asked before by KlausdB:

"I have 4 x HDDs on SATA AHCI (Intel Controller) in Native Mode and 1 x ESATA on Win 7 Pro X64.
    I noted that looking in Admin. Tools\Computer Management\Storage (as an example) the 1st HDD (Port 0 in the AHCI BIOS) is showing as "Disk 2" instead of my expectation of

"Disk 1".
    Selecting the Drive's Properties correctly shows the "Location 0 (Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0)".
    I also note that the Disk Number allocation in Windows will change randomly after some reboots/startups - going anywhere from "Disk 1" to "Disk 4".  I can force/replicate this

behaviour by removing the ESATA drive.
    Is this expected behaviour?
    It doesn't appear to create any operating issues at this stage, however, is there a way I can force the Drive to always map to (eg) Device 0 --> Disk 1, Device 1 --> Disk 2,

etc?
    Thanks."

This was answered by Nicholas Li:

"As far as I know, how the disk is plugged physically and the order it is displayed are not related. For a simple example, if a drive is plugged to SATA interface 4 and it is the only disk, it will be displayed as Disk 0. If there is no related issue about the disk order, I think we can safely ignore this."

Because the topic was closed I want to ask a new question here:
     What happens if one of the 4 HDD drives or 5 has an OS installed on it? I ask because windows always write some boot sectors on the first sectors of the first HDD, so, if my OS HDD although it is in BIOS on SATA 0 in windows it is on SATA 4, is this mean that other HDD drive will take the boot info's so that when I'll replace that drive the windows will no longer boot?

Thank you
    Saturday, May 07, 2016 9:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Paltinis,

We could check your motherboard documentation as Rick Dee said, some manufacturers actually make specific ports master or slave. SATA drives numbering is decided by the position in ports. However, you can change the order shown by Disk Management by installing a new OS to a different drive. When using SATA drives Windows decides Masters and Slaves by your Bios boot order. The first Drive with a Windows OS will be listed as C: and as Disk 0 In Disk Management. So If you install a new drive and put it in place of the other drive (Disk 0) you need to check your bios and make sure it is the first Hard Drive in the boot order if you want it to show as Disk 0 in Disk Management.

I find a link about SATA port numbers vs assignment of Disk numbers in the below. I hope it could be help for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/193909-sata-port-numbers-vs-assignemnt-disk-numbers.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:43 AM

All replies

• What is the exact make, model, and series of your system motherboard?  This type of behavior is seen on many motherboards and it is a result of the manufacturers' design of the motherboard.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, May 07, 2016 12:02 PM
  •  The PC on with witch I have this problem is:

Motherboard Name  -   Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc5800 Small Form Factor

Also you can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/HP-dc5800-Small-Form-Factor/dp/B001S2PYC8

• Edited by Paltinis Sunday, May 08, 2016 7:28 AM
    Saturday, May 07, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi Paltinis,

We could check your motherboard documentation as Rick Dee said, some manufacturers actually make specific ports master or slave. SATA drives numbering is decided by the position in ports. However, you can change the order shown by Disk Management by installing a new OS to a different drive. When using SATA drives Windows decides Masters and Slaves by your Bios boot order. The first Drive with a Windows OS will be listed as C: and as Disk 0 In Disk Management. So If you install a new drive and put it in place of the other drive (Disk 0) you need to check your bios and make sure it is the first Hard Drive in the boot order if you want it to show as Disk 0 in Disk Management.

I find a link about SATA port numbers vs assignment of Disk numbers in the below. I hope it could be help for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/193909-sata-port-numbers-vs-assignemnt-disk-numbers.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 11:43 AM