Red x appearing when trying to install any roles or features RRS feed

• Question

• I created a VM running Server 2016 with GUI, whenever I try to install a role or feature the install fails. I created another. VM, I am having the same issue.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:03 PM

All replies

• I'd check the latest cumulative update has been applied before installing any roles.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4103723

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

Open PowerShell with admin permission, type “get-windowsfeature” and end with enter. Please confirm that if the server role/feature is listed as available for installation. 

Besides, open CMD and type “sfc /scannow” to check/repair system files. Besides, if system built-in Windows Update is working, using below command line to have an reparation:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Then, re-start system and log on using credential which has admin permission, try to install again to check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 21, 2018 1:42 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi David and Eve, 

Thanks for your reply I got so frustrated I deleted the VM and the Windows ISO and re downloaded the Windows ISO and created a new VM which I installed server on. Still the same issue! My server is fully up to date!

Friday, June 8, 2018 1:57 PM
  • What errors, what roles and what happens when you try?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 8, 2018 11:40 PM
  • There are no error codes or error descriptions, just a red X appears. In this case I'm trying to install AD Domain Services and DNS but it happens regardless of what service I am trying.

Saturday, June 9, 2018 8:18 PM
  • If it is a new installation I'd probably clean install it again then patch fully and try adding roles again.

Sunday, June 10, 2018 4:04 AM