Vista install possible on U2 SCSI? RRS feed

• Question

• Unable to see harddrive when trying to do a fresh install.

What's the minimum level of SCSI to install Vista?  What drivers are included?

Thanks,

Art

Saturday, July 22, 2006 1:35 AM

Answers

• You need at least something in the Adaptec 29160 family.  (You might need to flash the SCSI BIOS if you get an older used card.)  Vista will recognize these adaptors natively.  You won't need a driver disk.

The old 2940U2W family is not supported.

Monday, July 24, 2006 10:48 AM

All replies

• You need at least something in the Adaptec 29160 family.  (You might need to flash the SCSI BIOS if you get an older used card.)  Vista will recognize these adaptors natively.  You won't need a driver disk.

The old 2940U2W family is not supported.

Monday, July 24, 2006 10:48 AM
  • So I have a system with a 29160 and a Maxtor 15K 18GB drive and the drive shows up in the list but when I try to install on it I get an error saying 'Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets it's criteria for installation.' What does this mean? The partition is the size of the full disk and shows up as 17.1GB -- that should be fine right?
    Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:16 PM
  • I really don't know.  The published requirements are a 40GB drive with 15GB free.  Vista might be set to require a larger partition for installation.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:50 PM
  • Odd, I created a 20GB partition on my raid 5 array and that worked. (Until windows tried to boot the first time and blue screened and rebooted because I am sure it didnt like the driver for the Promise raid card.)

I will keep messing with it.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:24 PM
  • In case anyone was wondering the issue was a bad SCSI cable. I got it resolved a while ago and it has been running great for a while. :)
    Saturday, March 10, 2007 4:38 AM