Application crashes at first time. 2nd start opens RRS feed

• Question

• I've successfully sequenced Twitter Tweetdeck 3.3.7.
    I've published the application locally through Powershell.

When I start the application for the 1st time it crashes.
    When I start the application for the 2nd time it works.

Eventviewer (Logging\Microsoft\AppV\StreamingManager\Debug)

1st error:
    Failed to retrieve package source root opt out setting from machine policy for package version {4a4521f3-78c0-4525-a7bd-7711bd265a7e} with status 4490220791359143942.

2nd error:
    Failed to parse uri provider guid, result = De configuratieregistersleutel is ongeldig..

Have admin rights on source files and on local desktop. Sequenced application more than once. No result.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:40 PM

Answers

• Test this:

1. Launch the app (and get the crash)
    2. Repair the App-V package
    3. Launch again - if it crashes then you know that whatever is needed to fix it was trapped inside your virtual sandbox (and subsequently deleted by the repair). If however the package launches then you know that the answer lies elsewhere.

If the answer is in the sandbox, look through here to see what got created during first launch that allows the sequencer to work:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<PackageId>
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<PackageId>

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Packages\<PackageId>\REGISTRY
    HKCU\Software\Classes\AppV\Client\Packages\<PackageId>\REGISTRY

Find the files/registry responsible, then you can try including in your original package. However, it might be writing something that is unique to the machine or user account making this impossible without scripting.

If repairing the app makes no difference then try looking outside of the package. %LOCALAPPDATA% is a good bet - see if the first launch creates files under here that are necessary for the second launch to work.

• Edited by Dan Gough Friday, October 10, 2014 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Cobben Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:39 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 2:17 PM

All replies

• Do you have the package source root defined in the registry?  (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Streaming\ PackageSourceRoot)

Is this the only application that you get the error with?  Do others work for you?
    • Edited by agallucci Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:56 PM
  • Failed to retrieve package source root opt out setting from machine policy for ...

This is not the registry setting for source root. This is the XML file option in the DeploymentConfig file. Chances are, you manually edited the XML file and mangled it.

PS: I have successfully sequenced and delivered tweetdeck in the past on App-V 5.  The only challenge is that it updates so often.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 3:01 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your quick answer. But I did not change the DeploymentConfig file. I don't even use it.

Only placed the single .appv file in the \\server\appv\Tweetdeck 3.3.7 and published it locally. Also added the appv to the management console and published it, same error. Even if sequenced, no clean up and published. This appv crashes. Any other appv file doesn't.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:20 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Start a procmon trace before you start the application (for the first time) and check what happens.

You can also start a procmon trace when you start the application for the second time and compare it with the first procmon trace.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Paul,

This may not help on this, but I would love to see the package for analysis so we can try to figure out how to diagnose what is wrong with broken packages. I think you have my email address.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Friday, October 10, 2014 1:37 PM
  • Test this:

1. Launch the app (and get the crash)
    2. Repair the App-V package
    3. Launch again - if it crashes then you know that whatever is needed to fix it was trapped inside your virtual sandbox (and subsequently deleted by the repair). If however the package launches then you know that the answer lies elsewhere.

If the answer is in the sandbox, look through here to see what got created during first launch that allows the sequencer to work:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<PackageId>
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<PackageId>

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Packages\<PackageId>\REGISTRY
    HKCU\Software\Classes\AppV\Client\Packages\<PackageId>\REGISTRY

Find the files/registry responsible, then you can try including in your original package. However, it might be writing something that is unique to the machine or user account making this impossible without scripting.

If repairing the app makes no difference then try looking outside of the package. %LOCALAPPDATA% is a good bet - see if the first launch creates files under here that are necessary for the second launch to work.

• Edited by Dan Gough Friday, October 10, 2014 2:18 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul Cobben Tuesday, October 14, 2014 1:39 PM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 2:17 PM