how to activate windows sidebar in desktop?? RRS feed

• Question

• once in a while i removed sidebar from the desktop. now i could not able to activate it on the desktop itself. whatever i try to change on the sidebar option i will get alerted.. stating that.. WINDOWS SIDEBAR IS MANAGED BY SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR.

but i am using the same administrator account and i dont have any other user account now. i am using WINDOWS VISTA .how to solve this problem??., could anyone help me

Friday, August 13, 2010 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi liana2003,

If you are using an edition of Windows Vista (Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions) which includes the Group Policy Editor, follow these steps to remove the Turn off Windows Side bar Policy:

• Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Search box, and press ENTER
    • Navigate to the following branch:

Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Sidebar

• Double-click Turn off Windows Sidebar
    • Set it as Not Configured
    • Repeat the same in the following branch:

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Sidebar

• Close the Group Policy Editor window.

Important: If it's already set to Not Configured, set it to Enabled and click Apply. Then repeat the steps and revert the setting back to Not Configured. This removes the registry based policy if set already.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:18 AM

All replies

• have you tried CONTROL PANEL>ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS>WINDOWS PROGRAMS AND FEATURES to see if the feature is turned on or off? Also, if you're using an Administrator-enabled account with an actual name that is not "Administrator", then YOU are not the actual Administrator who originally ran setup on the machine as far as vista is concerned...Is this install you are using a full install from a system disk or an upgrade over a previous version of windows?
    NTauthority-local
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hi liana2003,

If you are using an edition of Windows Vista (Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions) which includes the Group Policy Editor, follow these steps to remove the Turn off Windows Side bar Policy:

• Click Start, type gpedit.msc in the Search box, and press ENTER
    • Navigate to the following branch:

Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Sidebar

• Double-click Turn off Windows Sidebar
    • Set it as Not Configured
    • Repeat the same in the following branch:

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Sidebar

• Close the Group Policy Editor window.

Important: If it's already set to Not Configured, set it to Enabled and click Apply. Then repeat the steps and revert the setting back to Not Configured. This removes the registry based policy if set already.

Hope it helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 4:18 AM