Exchange 2007 - deleting catalog data RRS feed

• Question

• if i delete catalog data and rebuild it manually (start/stop indexing service) will it grow back to its initial size?

Also I noticed that our Total Free space (Physical) is going up/down after online defrag although the DB size is actually the same and we have huge whitespace. I would assume the reason the free space is not showing having the same size is that CatalogData is increasing/decreasing after online defrag?

PoSH newbie, BaSH Oldie

• Edited by navarro_aries Friday, December 28, 2012 4:02 AM add additional question
    Friday, December 28, 2012 3:53 AM

Answers

• That depends on whether it's larger than it needs to be!  In your situation, I would assume you'd get some space back, but you have to judge whether it's worth the bother since the catalog data should be relatively small compared to the database.  If it seems too big comparatively, then maybe it's worth rebuilding the catalog.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Sounds small to me.  The numbers I've heard is around 10% of mailbox database size, but there may be some economies of scale with larger mailbox databases.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:54 AM

All replies

• That depends on whether it's larger than it needs to be!  In your situation, I would assume you'd get some space back, but you have to judge whether it's worth the bother since the catalog data should be relatively small compared to the database.  If it seems too big comparatively, then maybe it's worth rebuilding the catalog.

Friday, December 28, 2012 6:52 AM
  • I have a 280GB DB file size and catalog data is around 6GB. Is that considered big? Does online maintenance do some cleanup on catalog data? If it doesnt, how do we maintained this folder then?

PoSH newbie, BaSH Oldie

Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:39 AM
  • Sounds small to me.  The numbers I've heard is around 10% of mailbox database size, but there may be some economies of scale with larger mailbox databases.

Sunday, December 30, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Thanks Ed,

regarding the second question I asked, does online maintenance do anything on the catalog data folder?

PoSH newbie, BaSH Oldie

Thursday, January 3, 2013 9:03 AM
  • The CatalogDate is the index from the Exchange Search feature, if you don't need it, you can follow this to disable it:

How to Disable or Enable Exchange Search
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996416(EXCHG.80).aspx

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2013 7:25 AM