Tailor make application RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,
    If I have a tailor application running on a SQL server 2005, the application query SQL data to generate the weekly report. Is that possible to publish the application? if can then how?
    As I try different template IAG keep asking me the port of the application which I don't have one.

Regards,
    Donald
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Donald,

There is a lot that goes into that. You certainly will need to know the port number. You can sleuth this out by making some basic observations.

1. Is this a web based application (You connect to it via a web browser)? If so, does the address start with HTTP (port 80) or HTTPS (Port 443).

2. If its not a web based application can you take a network trace of the traffic? This may help you determine the port you connect on. I will tell you that if you are connecting on a port other than 80 or 443 you may need to use the network connector.

So post back and let us know what you have. Once we know more we can quit generalizing and get down to your specific issues.

Dan 
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Donald,

There is a lot that goes into that. You certainly will need to know the port number. You can sleuth this out by making some basic observations.

1. Is this a web based application (You connect to it via a web browser)? If so, does the address start with HTTP (port 80) or HTTPS (Port 443).

2. If its not a web based application can you take a network trace of the traffic? This may help you determine the port you connect on. I will tell you that if you are connecting on a port other than 80 or 443 you may need to use the network connector.

So post back and let us know what you have. Once we know more we can quit generalizing and get down to your specific issues.

Dan 
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Thanks Dan,
    As the application running in the internal network server, what we are doing now is use VPN connect back to internal network and use RDP to login to the server and run the application.
    Which is not a web based application, it is only a local application running in the server so no traffic is pass the network interface.

Can we put it this way?
    How can I publish a stand alone application ABC.exe (forget about the SQL Server) which is installed in the driectory "c:\Program Files\ABC\" of Server A. Server A is behind the IAG. User needs to run ABC.exe from the a remote client when they click the link in the IAG portal page?

Thanks and regards,
    Donald
    • Edited by Donald Foo Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:54 PM
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:51 PM
  • Donald,

You should consider using Terminal Services Remote Web Applications 2008.   IAG cannot publish an FAT application directly.

1- Build the RemoteApps Web server on Server 2008.
    2- Share the ABC.exe application
    3- Configure IAG to publish the Remote Apps Server

Thanks

Dennis Lee
    Celestix Networks

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:19 PM