How to judge whether an INF file is a hardware driver file or of another use ? RRS feed

• Question

• How to judge whether an INF file is a hardware driver file or of another use?

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:18 AM

Answers

• Ive seen the same behavior with HPs, in particular webcams and fingerprint drivers. Package the driver as an application and have your task sequence install it at the end of the build.
    • Marked as answer by Long Bo Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:35 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hotkey (Quick Launch) are usually installed as an application.

You can run /? on the setup.exe to know the silent installation commands. Then load them in MDT.

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:38 AM

All replies

• Not sure in what situations you really need to know that. If it is an INF or a SYS file, MDT should take care of it.

Anyways - If you open the inf file, it will indicate whether it is a Display Driver or a Network Driver. Based on that you can open Device Manager and then right click on the device - driver details. You will know if it is being used as a driver.

One more thing, there are many drivers which have to be installed as an application. So if your drivers are not getting installed, then you have to install it as an application..

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thx!

Later I will post a screenshot to describe what I said.

I am not sure whether the .INF file is designed for driver installing only or able to be used for other situation expect for driver installing, like application installing?
    • Edited by Long Bo Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:20 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:12 PM
  • You can install driver in application node of workbench if the drivers are in .exe format.

Regards, Shishir Kushawaha "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:58 PM
  • I have get a driver package named "HOTKEY.exe" from the website of Lenovo, which is designed for Lenovo K29 laptops.

Then I extracted all files for HOTKEY.exe.

In the directory all the extracted files stored, some INF files existed.

Then I import drivers from the "Out-of-Box Drivers" node.

But It seemed that no drivers has been imported.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:02 AM
  • Wednesday, November 7, 2012 2:09 AM
  • Ive seen the same behavior with HPs, in particular webcams and fingerprint drivers. Package the driver as an application and have your task sequence install it at the end of the build.
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 6:42 AM
  • Hotkey (Quick Launch) are usually installed as an application.

You can run /? on the setup.exe to know the silent installation commands. Then load them in MDT.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:38 AM