none
Possible to make sticky thread about hardware issue? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to install SteadyState on computers in a public library. The first installation went like a charm. Then I ran into the issue mentioned in this thread:

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/c7813222-82a4-4e76-9a58-badb1febabb9/

Apparently SteadyState just does not work well on certain computer models. I spent quite a bit of time figuring out that it worked fine on our Dell Optiplex GX745's, but not our Optiplex GX620's. The several GX620's I tried it on all did the hanging thing at "committing changes." It would really be a help to know ahead of time what people's experiences have been with specific computer models, to save future users trying all sorts of software-related solutions, when it is apparently a hardware issue.

We have a couple of other Optiplex models running XP that I'll be trying it on, plus a Lenovo running Vista, and I'd be happy report which ones hang and which ones don't--but where to post the info?

Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We've had reports of this problem with other Dell Optiplex machines--in those cases, upgrading to the latest BIOS available from Dell fixed the problem.  Could you give that a shot and see if it solves the problem?

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We've had reports of this problem with other Dell Optiplex machines--in those cases, upgrading to the latest BIOS available from Dell fixed the problem.  Could you give that a shot and see if it solves the problem?

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I'm having trouble running it on Optiplex 755's with ATI Radeon video cards. Upon reboot, you will get an error message "An Unexpected Error occured (0x80080005)" and than the machine just hangs. All the machines have the latest BIOS "A15".
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:26 PM