locked
2008 Domain Rename with Exchange 2007

    Question

  • Hi,
     
    I am currently planning to rename a Windows 2008 domain.

    My guesswork on the net and msexchange.org forums tell me the best way to rename a domain with 2k8 and Exchange 2007 SP1 is to do the following:

    1. Install another temp domain and create a cross forest trust.
    2. Install a temp Exchange 2007 SP1 server in the new forest
    3. move all mailboxes from the exiting 2007 server to the new temp server in the new forest
    4. Uninstall the old(original) exchange 2007 server and remove all 2007 attributes in the domain
    5. Rename the domain.
    6. Ensure all trusts are still valid.
    7. Install a new exchange server in the old, renamed domain.
    8. Move mailboxes from the temporary forest to the new exchange server in the original but renamed domain.
    9. Uninstall the temp exchange server.
    10. Remove all exchange attributes in the temp domain
    11. break the trust and remove temp domain.

    Would this be a good route to follow?

    I see this is the only way as the domain reanme is not supported with exchange 2007.

    Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!!

    CISSP, CISM, nCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:50 AM

All replies

  • Hi Dave,

    Instead of going through this double hop why don’t you go for simple migration from your current domain to new domain with correct name?

     

    However in your step 4, after un-installation of all Exchange servers in old domain you need to remove Exchange Organization Container from Active Directory with ADSIEdit.msc to make the AD clean.

     

    Read below articles for some meanderings about it from Michael...

    Exchange 2007 and Domain Rename

    http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/04/04/exchange-2007-and-domain-rename.aspx


    Amit Tank || MVP - Exchange || MCITP - Exchange 2007 || http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    • Edited by Amit Tank Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:31 PM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Hi Amit,

    Well, the customer, at present does not have enough hardware for this which is somewhat of an issue, however, I think you are right. I have actually contacted MS about this, and yes I know they said there would not be a Exchange 2007 fixup tool, but we can always try and I will get back on this forum if there is!

    Thanks for your response!

    Still at a loss at the moment :(
    CISSP, CISM, nCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:19 PM
  • Hello Dave,

    Looks like currently there isn't any plan for Exchange 2007 domain rename fixup tool and you may need to go for any one of above discussed steps for immediate solution.

    http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/02/15/448140.aspx


    Amit Tank || MVP - Exchange || MCITP - Exchange 2007 || http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 5:09 AM
  • Hi Amit,

    Thanks! We have made a plan...

    PST mail out of exchange
    Remove Exchange Completely
    Rename Domain
    Check everything *gasp*
    Re-install Exchange
    Import PST's...

    This is going to be fun, I am still in the lab testing all this, so I will let you know how it goes, but so far so good...

    Re,

    Dave.
    CISSP, CISM, nCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, July 4, 2012 5:34 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 7:04 AM
  • Your plan should work.

    In your "check everything" step, I'd go into adsiedit and remove the Configuration/services/Exchange section entirely.  This will assure Exchange is created "fresh" after your rename.
    Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:32 PM
  • As it turns out all steps work perfectly except the Import PST's, I am currently busy with it now, but powershell crashes with loads of them, guess they got corrupt during the export!

    And, its an appcrash error, so probably something in the PST's that it can't handle?
    CISSP, CISM, nCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Hi Dave,

    You said "Powershell Crashes", let me just inform you about an issue if you are using Export-Mailbox on Vista 32bit, not sure if it the case with Import-Mailbox cmdlet also.

    Export-Mailbox Crashes on Windows Vista 32bit

    You may also check the event log to find the reason of crash. Additionally you can run Import-Mailbox cmdlet with -verbose -debug switches for detailed steps of import task and redirect the output to txt file so after powershell crashes you can see the result in txt file.

    Import-Mailbox ..... -Verbose -Debug > c:\importmailbox.txt

    Amit Tank || MVP - Exchange || MCITP - Exchange 2007 || http://ExchangeShare.WordPress.com
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:17 AM
  • the export is running on 2008 32-bit with Outlook installed as required, I tried your command line, it didn't give errors, just crashed, the text file I was piping commands to was empty. I have tested it on Vista with the same result.

    Weird though, I can open the PST file I am importing in outlook with no problem.
    CISSP, CISM, nCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:25 AM
  • I didn't mention, it crashes at random stages within the pst files, well, at least the same point in each file, but they all get to different stages of completion
    CISSP, CISM, nCSE, MCITP, MCSE, MCTS
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 9:32 AM
  • I managed to overcome this strange behavior by adjusting the maximum receive and send size settings in Organization Configuration -> Hub Transport -> Global Settings tab -> Properties of the Transport Settings -> General tab.

    I couldn't find any info on this after googling for 15 minutes. Hope this information is helpful to someone =)
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:15 PM