none
SharePoint Document Library - Compare two versions - blackline RRS feed

• Question

• Autonomy WorkSite has a capability called iManage that allows a user to select two documents and view the blackline / redline version of the document hightlighting the differences between the two documents.  Does anyone know if this capability has been extended into SharePoint? 

I know I can perform this function from the Compare button on the Review tab of Microsoft Word 2010, but I am interested in performing this capability right from SharePoint.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Monday, October 11, 2010 2:17 PM

Answers

• Scott,

The short answer to this is you must perform the comparison in Word.

SharePoint specifically relies on Office integration (in this case Word) to perform document comparisons, and it is not a feature of (i.e. is not extended into) SharePoint itself. Essentially, Word is 'aware' of documents and their versions stored in SharePoint via the SharePoint/Office integration when you have a document that is stored in SharePoint open in Word. Word does the comparison via the Review tab Compare button (as you indicate above) using SharePoint only as the repository from which the documents subject to your specified comparison will be accessed. The comparison itself happens in Word.

I have to say that executing a comparison directly from SharePoint would be a nice feature!

Regards,

Craig

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:03 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 4:36 PM

All replies

• Scott,

The short answer to this is you must perform the comparison in Word.

SharePoint specifically relies on Office integration (in this case Word) to perform document comparisons, and it is not a feature of (i.e. is not extended into) SharePoint itself. Essentially, Word is 'aware' of documents and their versions stored in SharePoint via the SharePoint/Office integration when you have a document that is stored in SharePoint open in Word. Word does the comparison via the Review tab Compare button (as you indicate above) using SharePoint only as the repository from which the documents subject to your specified comparison will be accessed. The comparison itself happens in Word.

I have to say that executing a comparison directly from SharePoint would be a nice feature!

Regards,

Craig

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:03 AM
    Monday, October 11, 2010 4:36 PM
  • Adding the version compare function onto SharePoint server instead of Word client will put extra computational burden on the server. Since we can do it on the client, why shall we do it on the server?
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:07 AM