Is there a token for AppVClientConnectionGroup / AppVClientPackage GUID? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

maybe a simple question but I can't figure it out. I have a few applications I need to copy a specific INI file to using StartProcess and copy it back afterwards with ExitProcess. It works fine but in the script I manually have to get the localtion of the VFS for that specific application. An example is '%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\3ACF30AF-12F8-41B5-9637-D66700DF111A\ProgramFilesX86\<name of the application>. Ofcourse with every application the GUID changes. As I always create a new package, even for an update, these GUIDS change a lot.

Now I know know I can get PowerShell to retrieve that GUID for me, although I dislike PowerShell for it's execution slowness compared to vbscript for example (and I don't want to discuss that :)). I wonder if there is a token I can use to get the GUID of package and / or connectiongroup? I currently have the token-list as below, but maybe there are additional tokens?

Known Folder Token

Known Folder Path

AccountPictures

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\AccountPictures

Administrative Tools

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

AppData

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming

Application Shortcuts

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts

Cache

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files

CD Burning

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Burn

Common Administrative Tools

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

Common AppData

C:\ProgramData

Common Desktop

C:\Users\Public\Desktop

Common Documents

C:\Users\Public\Documents

Common Programs

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Common Start Menu

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Common Startup

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Common Templates

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates

CommonDownloads

C:\Users\Public\Downloads

CommonMusic

C:\Users\Public\Music

CommonPictures

C:\Users\Public\Pictures

CommonRingtones

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Ringtones

CommonVideo

C:\Users\Public\Videos

Contacts

C:\Users\<username>\Contacts

Cookies

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies

CredentialManager

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Credentials

CryptoKeys

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Crypto

Desktop

C:\Users\<username>\Desktop

Device Metadata Store

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore

DocumentsLibrary

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Documents.library-ms

Downloads

C:\Users\<username>\Downloads

DpapiKeys

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect

Favorites

C:\Users\<username>\Favorites

Fonts

C:\windows\Fonts

GameTasks

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

History

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History

ImplicitAppShortcuts

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\ImplicitAppShortcuts

Libraries

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries

Links

C:\Users\<username>\Links

Local AppData

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local

LocalAppDataLow

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow

MusicLibrary

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Music.library-ms

My Music

C:\Users\<username>\Music

My Pictures

C:\Users\<username>\Pictures

My Video

C:\Users\<username>\Videos

NetHood

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts

Personal

C:\Users\<username>\Documents

PicturesLibrary

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Pictures.library-ms

Podcast Library

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Podcasts.library-ms

Podcasts

C:\Users\<username>\Podcasts

PrintHood

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts

C:\Users\<username>

ProgramFiles

C:\Program Files

ProgramFilesCommon

C:\Program Files\Common Files

ProgramFilesCommonX64

C:\Program Files\Common Files

ProgramFilesCommonX86

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

ProgramFilesX64

C:\Program Files

ProgramFilesX86

C:\Program Files (x86)

Programs

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Public

C:\Users\Public

PublicAccountPictures

C:\Users\Public\AccountPictures

PublicGameTasks

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer

PublicLibraries

C:\Users\Public\Libraries

Quick Launch

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Recent

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

RecordedTVLibrary

C:\Users\Public\Libraries\RecordedTV.library-ms

ResourceDir

C:\windows\resources

Ringtones

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Ringtones

Roamed Tile Images

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\RoamedTileImages

Roaming Tiles

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\RoamingTiles

SavedGames

C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games

Searches

C:\Users\<username>\Searches

SendTo

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Start Menu

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Startup

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

System

C:\windows\system32

SystemCertificates

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates

SystemX86

C:\windows\SysWOW64

Templates

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates

User Pinned

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned

UserProfiles

C:\Users

VideosLibrary

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Libraries\Videos.library-ms

Windows

C:\windows

Custom Token

Custom Token Expansion

AppVAllUsersDir

C:\Users\All Users

AppVComputerName

<USERNAME>-LT02

AppVCurrentUserSID

S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-705252

AppVEnvironmentVariableCommonProgramFiles

%commonprogramfiles%

AppVEnvironmentVariableProgramFiles

%ProgramFiles%

AppVPackageDrive

C:

AppVPackageRoot

C:\AppInstallFolder

AppVSystem32Catroot

C:\windows\system32\catroot

AppVSystem32Catroot2

C:\windows\system32\catroot2

AppVSystem32DriversEtc

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

AppVSystem32Driverstore

C:\windows\system32\driverstore

AppVSystem32Logfiles

C:\windows\system32\logfiles

AppVSystem32Spool

C:\windows\system32\spool

Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:01 PM

All replies

• I know this isn't exactly what you are asking...but do you HAVE to run this script outside the VE? The COW location you are referencing shouldn't need to be accessed if you are running from inside the VE because you can simply write to the C:\Program Files\... location if you are running inside.
    But I might be answering my own question if you have to revert the ini back on exit process as you can't run inside the VE on exit.

As far as the tokens are concerned I don't believe they are usable from inside a script, they are only for use by the App-V client.  For example if you fired up a vbs and wanted to get AppVPackageRoot, you couldn't access that token.  You can do something like pass AppVPackageRoot as a (string) argument to the vbs, but its not something like an environment variable like %SFT_MNT% was in App-V 4.6.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:14 PM
  • As far as the tokens are concerned I don't believe they are usable from inside a script, they are only for use by the App-V client.  For example if you fired up a vbs and wanted to get AppVPackageRoot, you couldn't access that token.  You can do something like pass AppVPackageRoot as a (string) argument to the vbs, but its not something like an environment variable like %SFT_MNT% was in App-V 4.6.

Actually you can use these tokens, you just have to pass them to your script through the deployment/userconfig. 
    To come back to the question,  afaik there are no token for those sids, but you can retrieve them from AppVPackageRoot.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:30 PM
  • I know this isn't exactly what you are asking...but do you HAVE to run this script outside the VE? The COW location you are referencing shouldn't need to be accessed if you are running from inside the VE because you can simply write to the C:\Program Files\... location if you are running inside.
    But I might be answering my own question if you have to revert the ini back on exit process as you can't run inside the VE on exit.

As far as the tokens are concerned I don't believe they are usable from inside a script, they are only for use by the App-V client.  For example if you fired up a vbs and wanted to get AppVPackageRoot, you couldn't access that token.  You can do something like pass AppVPackageRoot as a (string) argument to the vbs, but its not something like an environment variable like %SFT_MNT% was in App-V 4.6.

For StartProcess or StartVirtualEnvironment that works fine, however with ExitProcess and / or TerminalVirtualEnvironment the link to %ProgramFiles(x86)% is already gone when the script runs, even though the virtual environment IS in fact still running. But because of that I can't get that file from the VFS, the directory / link just doesn't exist in C:\Program Files (x86) anymore within the VE that's still running.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:48 PM
  • As far as the tokens are concerned I don't believe they are usable from inside a script, they are only for use by the App-V client.  For example if you fired up a vbs and wanted to get AppVPackageRoot, you couldn't access that token.  You can do something like pass AppVPackageRoot as a (string) argument to the vbs, but its not something like an environment variable like %SFT_MNT% was in App-V 4.6.

Actually you can use these tokens, you just have to pass them to your script through the deployment/userconfig. 
    To come back to the question,  afaik there are no token for those sids, but you can retrieve them from AppVPackageRoot.

I indeed use that quite a lot, passing tokens to my scripts. Unfortunately to use the actual VFS folder it's cumbersome to have to hard-code that.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:57 PM
  • I indeed use that quite a lot, passing tokens to my scripts. Unfortunately to use the actual VFS folder it's cumbersome to have to hard-code that.
    I know, but if you do not want to use powershell, passing AppVPackageRoot is your only way; just use a regex or whatever to retrieve the SIDs.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:08 PM
  • OK I hear you.

What might be the easiest way is to create a wrapper for the program that you execute instead of the actual exe.  So when you launch the wrapper, it edits the ini, then runs (with wait) the actual exe, then after the exe exits it revers the ini back.
    This is a good use case for exit scripts should be able to run inside the VE.  You should create a suggestion, or if you want to add on I created a post for beefed up scripting (shameless plug found here: http://appv.uservoice.com/forums/280448-microsoft-application-virtualization/suggestions/7240266-improve-scripting-options)

When you pass the token to the VBS, does it evaluate as inside path (C:\Program Files) or outside path ('%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\etc....)?  Just curious, I have only done that once or twice.  I REALLY wish those properties could be evaluated by some generic API call, or were env variables like 4.6.  

Even if you use powershell you can't evaluate the tokens correct?  You just have access to the cmdlets and can 'build' the value of the tokens yourself right?

I want to make sure I'm not doing things the hard way.

Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:29 PM
  • OK I hear you.

What might be the easiest way is to create a wrapper for the program that you execute instead of the actual exe.  So when you launch the wrapper, it edits the ini, then runs (with wait) the actual exe, then after the exe exits it revers the ini back.
    This is a good use case for exit scripts should be able to run inside the VE.  You should create a suggestion, or if you want to add on I created a post for beefed up scripting (shameless plug found here: http://appv.uservoice.com/forums/280448-microsoft-application-virtualization/suggestions/7240266-improve-scripting-options)

When you pass the token to the VBS, does it evaluate as inside path (C:\Program Files) or outside path ('%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\etc....)?  Just curious, I have only done that once or twice.  I REALLY wish those properties could be evaluated by some generic API call, or were env variables like 4.6.  

Even if you use powershell you can't evaluate the tokens correct?  You just have access to the cmdlets and can 'build' the value of the tokens yourself right?

I want to make sure I'm not doing things the hard way.

mwa.. that's even using more ducttape than just hardcoding the GUID :) Thanks for the suggestion though. I think I'll make a little sub that finds out the actual VFS path. But until then I'll wait for someone to give the holy-grail answer :)
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:58 PM
  • Package Group GUIDs are only for the purposes of ensuring that Catalog and CoW/user Data are converged in the meat virtual environment. Wouldn't it be dangerous to try to do any manipulation to these items out of band from the App-V client itself?

I'm having a hard time understanding why a script would need to know one from the other. What would be trying to solve or reconsile?

Steve Thomas, Senior Consultant, Microsoft

App-V/MED-V/SCVMM/Server App-V/MDOP/AppCompat

http://blogs.technet.com/gladiatormsft/
    The App-V Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/appv/
    The MED-V Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/medv
    The SCVMM Team blog: http://blogs.technet.com/scvmm/

“This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. User assumes all risks.”

Thursday, May 28, 2015 7:55 PM
  • Steve,

I believe the OP is attempting to manipulate a COW file (virtualized path under ProgramFilesX86) on exit of an application or the App-V VE as a whole.

Since ExitProcess and TerminateVirtualEnvrironment both can only run outside the VE, the only way to manipulate that file is by determining the user's COW location, determining the package GUID, and interacting with it from there.
    If ExitProcess or TerminateVirtualEnvrironment had a RunInVirtualEnvironment="true" flag that would do exactly what he wants.

There are workarounds, I believe he was hoping there was an easier way of doing it.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 12:52 PM