Word 2003 Macros have disappeared from list of available macros and toolbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A user has lost the ability to use some of their macros; they have disappeared from the list of available macros and from the toolbar. The macros still exist on the system and I would like to know how to restore them. I have read that the Normal.dot file could have been overwritten; I have searched for normal.dot and have a few versions and would like to know how to check to see if the macros missing are in those versions. If not, is I would like to know if it possible to add macros to Word and not have to recreate them.

Thanks!

Friday, May 21, 2010 7:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

We solved this issue by deleting the users profile and restoring it from a backup.

Thanks for your assitance!

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:53 PM

All replies

• There seems to be some contradiction between the statements 'they have disappeared from the list' and 'are still available'.

There should only be one normal.dot template in the user's profile.

If you have not changed the default location (which it appears you have not) enter or copy
    %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates
    to the address window of Windows Explorer or your IE browser and you will be taken to the folder that contains the default template.

Note that this folder is normally hidden.

All other normal.dot files should be removed or renamed to avoid confusion

Macros are stored in templates - by default the aforementioned normal template. If you open the template (as a document) in Word, if there are macros in it, the macros will be listed when you click ALT+F8.

If you have the macros stored somewhere you can use the Organizer - also accessible from the ALT+F8 dialog - to copy them from the template containing them to the normnal template. Note that the Organizer only lists the modules containing the macros and not the macros themselves.

http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm explains how macros are handled in Word.

--
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor -  Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    "jn865" <=?utf-8?B?am44NjU=?=> wrote in message news:317d7c56-fc41-478a-9732-3223d2d51f28...

Hello,

A user has lost the ability to use some of their macros; they have disappeared from the list of available macros and from the toolbar. The macros still exist on the system and I would like to know how to restore them. I have read that the Normal.dot file could have been overwritten; I have searched for normal.dot and have a few versions and would like to know how to check to see if the macros missing are in those versions. If not, is I would like to know if it possible to add macros to Word and not have to recreate them.

Thanks!

Graham Mayor - Word MVP - www.gmayor.com
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Hello,

We solved this issue by deleting the users profile and restoring it from a backup.

Thanks for your assitance!

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:54 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 1:53 PM